RJ Spagnols Help please on when to rack to carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasharp

Junior
Reaction score
I thought I was told by George and others to rack to carboy when the SG was 1.01 or so. My instructions say .998 or lower.

It is at 1.01 currently, do I rack?

If I rack, do I also add sulphite and potassium sorbate and degas/add kieselsol and Chitosan?

Spagnols which makes the Vino del Vida has changed their instructions since I carried the brand, but I went to their site and based on what I read, you should transfer the wine to the bucket on day 14, if your S.G. is .998 or lower. At that time you will de-gas and add the remaining packets. If the S.G. is still above .998, wait until it is before you rack, de-gas and stabilize. Here is the link to the instructions:

http://rjspagnols.com/resource_view.asp?HandoutID=51

BTW, ALL of the kit manufacturers have slightly different instructions. My advice is to always follow the instructions that come with your kit. In addition, the manufacturers will change their instructions, from time to time, so to have the best success, read the instructions EVERY TIME!

I like the RJ Spagnols instructions as Ive done a few kits of theirs
since they changed their instructios and it makes degassing a breeze
this way, but do follow each manufacturer's instructions.

Edited by: wade

my local supplier is a spangols stocker. I use vino vida for my giveaways and grand cru for my own aka special reserve. If the vino vida is the 7.5 you can and should for more flavor do everything and stop at the 5 gal mark on the primary fermenter and make a 5 gal batch out of it for a little more body. I do know the newer vino vida kits are 9 ltrs . the grand cru are 13 ltrs. and still a good price for 2 dollar bottle of wine that tastes like a 10 dollar one according to my wine consieour cant spell but u get the picture.. He likes my my efforts. and your friends will as well. hey if u only have 1 carboy its time to get another.. they do better with a brother and sister or twins.. welcome to the best hobby I have done. The ppl in this forum are great ask any question and dont worry about what it is.

Back