Help Newbie Yeast Mistake Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDWines

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,

My wife and I just started on making wine today. I made a slight mistake and added the yeast nutrient to water but I did not add it to the must. I'm planning on covering it and adding it to the must in 3 days. Can I do this or do I need to get a new package? Any help is appreciated!

By the way we purchased the Vinifera wine kit to make a red zin.

Marty

Go ahead and put it in now- it won't hurt a bit. Also make sure to follow the directions for the yeast. Some kits rehydrate it and some just sprinkle it on top. Just follow the directions that came with the kit.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm adding it as I write. I made sure the yeast was put in warm water for 15 minutes. Temp was about 105 degrees.

Marty

Marty;

Welcome ask away if you are not sure BEFORE you do it ... LOL

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I turned to making my own wine because I need to support my wine habit. As you know wine drinking is not a cheap sport. Furthermore, my taste is starting to exceed my budget
smiley11.gif

Welcome to Err.. an OBSESSION !!
Better start on buying alot more equipment !

MDWines, welcome and like Tepe said, better get ready to buy more equipment. I have found that winemaking is a little like doing projects around the house; you really never get done and you always need to buy something else that you need. Again, welcome, John.

Well we started with a red zin but our love is cabs. I figured we needed to start some where and well red zin seemed to be it. We drink our share of red wine and it has become a passion. Nothing better than a little jazz music, a glass of wine, and a small snack on the porch enjoying nature. The ultimate would be a few acres of vines and growing our own. Always good to dream. You'll be seeing alot of us because I'm sure our wine making mistakes are not over.
smiley5.gif

"A few acres of vines to grow our own"? Not to throw cold water on the idea, but may I suggest you visit a vineyard during pruning season (early summer) or during harvest. Sometimes they will even let you help. Our local vineyard encourages volunteer participation. They even buy lunch!One trip convinced me that buying canned bases or full kits is a very smart move for this "mature" person.
Otherwise, good luck.
smiley1.gif

Welcome to the forum. You will find many diverse ideas presented to you here that you can use to expand your hobby. Don't be discouraged by mistakes as you learn, everyone makes them and learn from them and repeat them later when they forget. Mostly you will make good wine and be proud of your results. Mistakes can be poured down the sinK.
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back