Help Needed: First TIme Fruit Wine Maker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcb54

Reaction score
I have made a number of wine kits and would consider myself somewhat experienced in this type of winemaking. Now I'm thinking about making 6 gallonsof Blackberry Wine using the Vintner's Harvest Blackberry Fruit Base.

In addition to the Fruit Base and the chemicals, what else would I need to get? Is there a tutorial that will tell me how to go about all this? Also, I would like to make this wine a little on the sweet side (not syrupy, but a little sweet). How can I do this?

Thanks for all your help...

tcb, I have used the Vinters Blackberry base and I would recommend you use at least 2 cans for a 6 gallon batch. I would also recommend finishing it dry and then backsweeten to taste just before bottling. A medium toast oak does well in a Blackberry too.

I will ditto what Waldo said to the "T"! You can either make a simple syrup consisting of sugar and water to add after the wine has been stabilized to back sweeten or save some, say 1/2 of the 3rd can of the base to sweeten back.

TC:
I like to make what some call, straight forward fruit wines. Wines that are all of what the fruit is supposed to taste like rather than mixes of different types of what nots and Vintners fruit base is about all I use when making my wines.

I've done two diferent Blackberry wines now and I agree with Waldo toa certain extent.
You should consider using two 96oz cans because two cans will make the diference between an arguably thin wine and a full bodied wine, you will get more natural blackberry sugar andyour blackberry aroma will be greatly enhanced. No need to add oils, extracts or even additional berries.

I don't add the oak because it changes the flavor of the fruit but that's not to say it's wrong to do so. Oak adds additional, wonderous flavorsand aromas that complicate the wine and create somthing different than Blackberry and some really like that.

The question is really, do you?

As far as fermenting it dry?
That's all I've ever done though, I'm curiously considering trying it differently soon.
After dry, I back sweeten using the wine itself rather than water and adding my sugar to my taste, usually 1.010 to 1.015. My first Blackberry was a 1.005 and I thought it wasless sweetthan I really wanted it.
My second was sweetened to 1.010 and I like that onebetter.
My next will be at or around 1.015 cause I want to try it a bit sweeter still.
My Vintners Raspberry was sweetened to 1.010 and I like that and my Vintners Apricot will finalize out at 1.015 cause I think that one should be a bit sweeter than the others (don't ask me why?).

Also. Try taking sg readings on the wines you buy that you like. That helps give you a starting idea of what you want to shoot for and what you want to avoid.

Again, your taste is what's important here. Sweeten a bit at a time and try a thief each time till you get it where you want it.
You may be surprised that you'll like it sweeter than you think.

Finally. Be patient. Treat your wine like you treat your partner. Slow and patiently. Don't be in a rush. You'll appreciate your efforts much more that way.

Happy Winenin!!!

Latest posts

Back