Help me pick my next kit!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What yeast? I have a Red Star Premier Rouge. I never see that recommended and I'm not sure why.

I used it in 2017 and thought it was a pretty trouble free yeast. I'd say use and don't worry about it. But most commercial yeasts pretty work well, and concern over which one is overanalyzed. We all have our favorites! I like quick, clean trouble free and tasting like the grapes it was made from.

So didn't your kit come with yeast? Use that. No need to go far afield. but if you want to use the Premier Rouge, it works just fine and is good, in my opinion. One of the very local wineries to me, uses it for all their red wines.

I used it in 2017 and thought it was a pretty trouble free yeast. I'd say use and don't worry about it. But most commercial yeasts pretty work well, and concern over which one is overanalyzed. We all have our favorites! I like quick, clean trouble free and tasting like the grapes it was made from.

So didn't your kit come with yeast? Use that. No need to go far afield. but if you want to use the Premier Rouge, it works just fine and is good, in my opinion. One of the very local wineries to me, uses it for all their red wines.
Awesome advice.

I've used it (premier Rouge) for a lot of things and I really like it. I was curious though why the 4x4 and a few others are mentioned most often. But that's probably a whole 'nother can of worms.

Awesome advice.

I've used it (premier Rouge) for a lot of things and I really like it. I was curious though why the 4x4 and a few others are mentioned most often. But that's probably a whole 'nother can of worms.

I may be off but I think that the 118 is the workhorse that always finishes dry but doesn’t enhance flavor but some that do enhance flavor also sometimes struggle to finish or can contribute off flavors without enough nutrient. I think that the 4x4 is a blend to give you the best of both worlds which is why it’s popular.

But again, I may be way off...

Latest posts

Back