Help Me On Dragon Wine!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, i'm going to be making "DangerDaves" Dragon Blood wine recipe and i'm confused on step where which states, "Step 4: When the SG drops to <1.000, do the following:
Squeeze juices from fruit pack into fermenter---remove fruit pack: Discard fruit."

I'm not sure what he means by "remove fruit paack" and "discard fruit"?
Does he just mean to empty the contents in the fermenter and throw the bag away?

P.S I converted the recipe in to a 1 gallon recipe is my conversion right?:
~1 bottle of lemon juice. I can substitute with acid blend right?
~4 cups of white granulated sugar.
~1 tsp tannin
~1 tsp yeast nutrient
~1 tsp yeast energizer
~3 tsp pectic enzyme
~Top with 1 gallon of water
~1 lbs of Triple Berry Blend
Thanks in aadvance! :b

Hello, i'm going to be making "DangerDaves" Dragon Blood wine recipe and i'm confused on step where which states, "Step 4: When the SG drops to <1.000, do the following:
Squeeze juices from fruit pack into fermenter---remove fruit pack: Discard fruit."

I'm not sure what he means by "remove fruit paack" and "discard fruit"?
Does he just mean to empty the contents in the fermenter and throw the bag away?

P.S I converted the recipe in to a 1 gallon recipe is my conversion right?:
~1 bottle of lemon juice. I can substitute with acid blend right?
~4 cups of white granulated sugar.
~1 tsp tannin
~1 tsp yeast nutrient
~1 tsp yeast energizer
~3 tsp pectic enzyme
~Top with 1 gallon of water
~1 lbs of Triple Berry Blend
Thanks in aadvance! :b

It means remove the bag holding the fruit from the fermenter, squeeze out all the excess juice from the bag and discard the bag and the fruit. All you want left going forward is the juice.

Bag

It means remove the bag holding the fruit from the fermenter, squeeze out all the excess juice from the bag and discard the bag and the fruit. All you want left going forward is the juice.

Oh is this what you mean- open the contents of the fruit and dump them in a nylon mesh bag, and then i remove this mesh bag and squeeze it right? :D(I'm new to winemaking)
I have seen many people use a bag but they never explain why.

Oh is this what you mean- open the contents of the fruit and dump them in a nylon mesh bag, and then i remove this mesh bag and squeeze it right? :D(I'm new to winemaking)
I have seen many people use a bag but they never explain why.

yes. The bag makes it easier to keep the berries from clogging up the racking cane.

If you didn't use a bag, no big deal. Rack what you can. Squeeze out the sediment as you remove it. Rack the remainder.

I had good success in removing sediment from the Fermentation bucket with this before my initial racking.

115-575.jpg

Cannot speak for anyone else on this forum but the lemon juice is there to make a lemon based wine. Substituting acid blend will not likely provide the same (or similar) flavor profile. The use of lemon juice is not simply to add acidity to the wine. It IS the base of this wine. You can substitute lime (I imagine) or another very sour fruit.. grapefruit? or even orange juice (perhaps) but the lemon flavor is really quite integral to this wine, IMO.

Dry measures in wine making are typically given by weight than by volume. One lb of sugar in one gallon will add 40 points to your hydrometer reading, but I have no idea how many oz are in 1 cup of sugar (six? eight? five? )... I imagine but I did not check the recipe that the recipe will call for about 2 lbs of sugar in a gallon (so the gravity before you add any fruit will be about 1.080)

Cannot speak for anyone else on this forum but the lemon juice is there to make a lemon based wine. Substituting acid blend will not likely provide the same (or similar) flavor profile. The use of lemon juice is not simply to add acidity to the wine. It IS the base of this wine. You can substitute lime (I imagine) or another very sour fruit.. grapefruit? or even orange juice (perhaps) but the lemon flavor is really quite integral to this wine, IMO.

Dry measures in wine making are typically given by weight than by volume. One lb of sugar in one gallon will add 40 points to your hydrometer reading, but I have no idea how many oz are in 1 cup of sugar (six? eight? five? )... I imagine but I did not check the recipe that the recipe will call for about 2 lbs of sugar in a gallon (so the gravity before you add any fruit will be about 1.080)

I'll use lemon juice but i was wondering, thanks!
I'll just add sugar till it gets me to the required SG.
Thanks.

If you make the recipe that you first posted, you will have a weak, highly acidic wine. One bottle of lemon juice is good for three gallons with some people using one bottle for six gallons. If you have the carboys, I'd make at least three gallons and six would be better. Follow the recipe on this one. You will not be disappointed.

If you make the recipe that you first posted, you will have a weak, highly acidic wine. One bottle of lemon juice is good for three gallons with some people using one bottle for six gallons. If you have the carboys, I'd make at least three gallons and six would be better. Follow the recipe on this one. You will not be disappointed.

I got you, i'll use only about 10 or 5 percent of the bottle, thanks!!!! :b

If you can, I would make the full recipe. The wine is so good that five bottles will not last long. We bottled our first batch toward the end of Feb. and after giving some friends some bottles we only have four bottles left. We started our second batch a couple of weeks ago. It is really that good and easy to make.

Latest posts

Back