HELP ME! im a beginner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isaiah

Reaction score
Am I fermenting to fast?

Can you help me? I just started last thursday with a pumpkin batch and a welches white grape had the white grape in primary for five days with s.g. when transfered at 1.040 and the pumpkin three days then transfered with s.g. at 1.022.
White grape is now at 1.002 and the pumpkin is at 1.000
Does this seem like things are going right? Or is this too fast?

Last edited:
Can you help me? I just started last thursday with a pumpkin batch and a welches white grape had the white grape in primary for five days with s.g. when transfered at 1.040 and the pumpkin three days then transfered with s.g. at 1.022.
White grape is now at 1.002 and the pumpkin is at 1.000
Does this seem like things are going right? Or is this too fast?

You are fine, those two wines seem like they are coming along pretty good.

Should they then be stopped at a certain s.g. or just let them keep going?

They need to finish dry. Rack to clear and add sulfite. Rack when clear to age. Remember to degass.

Isaiah,

It is better to ask a thousand questions than to ruin your wine. So ask away

To finish dry means to let your wine ferment dry, which means that the yeast has eaten all the sugar that it can in your wine. Leave is along for a few weeks and then take an sg reading and if you are below 1.000, take a reading on three different days and if you get the same reading all three days your wine is finished.

You racked a little early IMO, but other than that, you got this! You didn't need any help, just a little reassurance.

so long as you can Accurately read the numbers....

I suppose you can do it. I did my first readings in the ferment bucket!! Now I have a Thief and a Cylinder.

Latest posts

Back