WineXpert Help, kit won't start

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman

Junior
Reaction score
I started a WineExpert Washington Riesling Sunday with an addition of a couple cups juice from my own vines. Two days now and not perking. I've made kits many times and always get working after one day. Help, what can I do to get my kit started? This is my first failure.

Like I said I've done this many times and yes I follow directions. Room is 70 degrees.

I started a WineExpert Washington Riesling Sunday with an addition of a couple cups juice from my own vines. Two days now and not perking. I've made kits many times and always get working after one day. Help, what can I do to get my kit started? This is my first failure.

Like I said I've done this many times and yes I follow directions. Room is 70 degrees.
Two days may not be enough time even though temp is decent. Are you going on visual signs or do you have specific gravity readings?

Finally, you are certain that the yeast was added, right?

When I ran a store, I had a customer come in about a not fermenting kit. He came back the next day with the add pack. The yeast was still in it. Fortunately the sorbate was still there as well.

Steve

I'll give it another day but has never taken this long before. Yes the yeast is in.

Did you take the starting SG? if it stays the same after 3-4 days I would make a yeast starter and try again. Sometimes when you add your own fruit to the kits it throws them off a bit. I wouldn't worry yet.

Don't usually bother checking the SG and didn't this time. Don't see much point as I can time the steps well by the kit's activity. I'll wait another day and just added a little heat to the area to bring it up to 75 that may help. I've added cranberry and blackberry homemade puree in others that didn't change anything. This time using two cups of added juice sure made a difference.

Any chance this was an older kit and the yeast was expired?

I looked all over the box when I bought it Saturday and found no date on it. My guess also that the yeast is passed.

Yeast packages often have an expiration date on them if yours is still around. I can't imagine there would be any harm in adding a second packet of yeast

There should have been a small sticker (probably on the top of the box) with a barcode and date code on it. That will tell you how old the kit was. I would probably check the SG, as well. Is this the WE World Vineyard Riesling kit?

Yes it's World Washington Riesling. The yeast packet is Lalvin EC-1118 with numbers punched in the side: 0189004M-BBD-12-2015. Numbers on the box sticker: 017233 08 143 13 0326. Yeast numbers look not expired but don't make much sense of the box numbers. Just a few hours short of three days now and still no activity.

Yes it's World Washington Riesling. The yeast packet is Lalvin EC-1118 with numbers punched in the side: 0189004M-BBD-12-2015. Numbers on the box sticker: 017233 08 143 13 0326. Yeast numbers look not expired but don't make much sense of the box numbers. Just a few hours short of three days now and still no activity.

So the kit is only about 4 or so months old. The yeast should be good age-wise. What is the SG?

Latest posts

Back