Help I made a dumb mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdidona

Learning the art
Reaction score
I started an RJS winery series super Tuscan on Friday night, my second batch and first attempt at a higher end kit. After I had done everything per instructions and pitched the yeast, I noticed the spigot on my primary was leaking very slightly. I had no choice but to stick my arm in the must/yeast to tighten it up. I'm now concerned that may have had a serious affect, as it's now a day and a half and I have no fermentation activity happening. The instructions said I should see activity within 2 days, so maybe I'm jumping the gun. Can anyone offer advice on what to do here? Starting sg was 1.09. Do I wait? Repitch yeast (lalvin came with the kit). If I repitch, can I use a different yeast if my local supply store does not have lalvin? Thank you

I think you are over thinking this - I dont think you harmed the wine at all.
What are your temps ? Yes you can always re pitch the yeast - it is best to make a starer batch
If you dont know how - please ask

Tdidona,
As long as your arm was clean, there shouldn't be too many issues, I look at it this way, although we should always wash and sanitize anything that is going to make contact with our wine, when making wine from fresh grapes, the grapes aren't washed before destemming and crushing, I think that you'll be fine.
A few things can slow down the start of fermentation, first off, all yeast goes through a lag phase, 2 days isn't a big deal at all.
The temperature of the must and the room temp can make a big difference as well, what are the temps like?
Did you hydrate the yeast before pitching it? Sprinkling dry yeast onto the must can kill a good portion of the yeast.
What yeast are you using, and did you check the expiration date?
I would make sure that your temp is at least 65°-70° and sit back and relax, no need to repitch a yeast yet.

I won't start worrying until after day three, sometimes it takes a couple of days before fermentation starts.

Thanks all. Starting temp was 74 degrees, and my room is approximately 65. I actually sanitized my entire arm prior to submerging it, not sure if that helped. I just sprinkled the yeast on top of the juice, as that's what the directions stated, I did not start it with water. I used lalvin but did not check the expiration date, thanks for that info I'll be sure to do that going forward. If I don't get any action and need to restart, can someone provide some info on how to create a starter batch? Thank you all so much, this forum has been invaluable.

I agree with the others, don't worry so much. Look at it this way: There is little you could have done with your arm to prevent microbes from starting to eat the sugars. At worst, you could have inoculated it with the wrong microbes (although I doubt that, too). No activity does not sound like a cause for concern (yet).

I went dumpster diving and found the yeast packet, it was not expired, so maybe it's just me being worried that I screwed something up. My first kit I made (winexpert chianti) started up real quick, within a day. For now I moved my bucket to a warmer room and wrapped it with a blanket to see if I can get the temp up some. Can someone provide me with the proper way to restart fermentation if I need to do that? Anything in particular I should do?

I'm sure it will get going on its own but if you need to restart - simply properly hydrate and add more yeast.

Just checking, you didn't by any chance add k-meta and/or sorbate?

I started an RJS winery series super Tuscan on Friday night, my second batch and first attempt at a higher end kit. After I had done everything per instructions and pitched the yeast, I noticed the spigot on my primary was leaking very slightly. I had no choice but to stick my arm in the must/yeast to tighten it up. I'm now concerned that may have had a serious affect, as it's now a day and a half and I have no fermentation activity happening. The instructions said I should see activity within 2 days, so maybe I'm jumping the gun. Can anyone offer advice on what to do here? Starting sg was 1.09. Do I wait? Repitch yeast (lalvin came with the kit). If I repitch, can I use a different yeast if my local supply store does not have lalvin? Thank you

I did basically the same thing when I first started in this hobby my mistake wasn't testing the bucket/spigot before filling it always test new washer and spigot before filling with juice.. I made sure it was on tight but the washer had a slice in it like a clean razor cut. Contacted George and he replaced it and sent it right away! So from now on I always test new bucket spigot before putting juice in

I'm sure it will get going on its own but if you need to restart - simply properly hydrate and add more yeast.

Just checking, you didn't by any chance add k-meta and/or sorbate?

I did not add K-meta or sorbate. I think warming things up seemed to work, I've got some action going on now, so things are looking up. Thanks all for your help and advice.

Latest posts

Back