HELP... How do I to choose a wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanyalc

Reaction score
I am VERY new at this (0 kits made) and need some help.

How can I find a wine kit that will taste similar to my favorite wine. I really like Jost Terra Rosa and would love to find a kit that would be similar, but I just don't know where to start.

I'm new as well, but think part of the fun in making your own wine is to experiment and try different brands (blends). I never liked or tried the sweeter wines till my better half wanted WE Island Mist Peach\Apricot. Made the kit and it's really good. She loves it. Next year I'm scheduling a different type of summer wine, Tropical Resiling, or Strawberry Merlot.

I am VERY new at this (0 kits made) and need some help.

How can I find a wine kit that will taste similar to my favorite wine. I really like Jost Terra Rosa and would love to find a kit that would be similar, but I just don't know where to start.

Call George at Fine Vine Wines and tell him what you like (if you mail ordering). He'll steer you in the right direction and help you out with any other needs. He is our sponsor above at the Wine Maker's Toy Store.

Try visiting your your LHBS. Sometimes you can sample before you buy.

George's website will also let you pull up all "Malbec" style wine kits he carries. I'd have this up when you give him a call.....

Thank you

Thank you for the great answers. I will check out winekitz for sure and read the link that I was given.

Tanya

So I emailed the company and they told me....

"Jost Vineyards Terra Rosa is a medium dry, medium bodied red wine made from a blend of Marechal Foch, Luci Kulmann, and Leon Millot."

Which means absolutely nothing to me... I am heading up to WineKitz tomorrow so hopefully they can help me

"Jost Vineyards Terra Rosa is a medium dry, medium bodied red wine made from a blend of Marechal Foch, Luci Kulmann, and Leon Millot."

Which means absolutely nothing to me... I am heading up to WineKitz tomorrow so hopefully they can help me

Unfortunately, there are no kits made from those three grapes.

NB is now a Ferment-on-Premises province. Some FoP owners do not like at home wine makers. If the WineKitz store is not helpful, I'm sure that there are other stores you can check out in Fredericton.

Steve

Thanks,

Really what I am looking for is a sweeter red -- I know to some that is blasphemy but I am new to red wine, like the over all taste but not the bitter or dryness of it. When I drink white I usually go for something with a sugar from 1 – 3. So I would like to find a kit that will give me that without messing with a sweetening pack. Does it exist? Probably not!

Really there is so much out there to choose from that knowing where to start is SOOOO overwhelming!

And WineKitz is Ferment-on-Premises but also sells the kits for you to take home so I should be able to ask for help. I have done Ferment-on-Premises but it was a Hard Lemonade not a wine so there was no hard decision!

Last edited:
Really what I am looking for is a sweeter red -- I know to some that is blasphemy but I am new to red wine, like the over all taste but not the bitter or dryness of it. When I drink white I usually go for something with a sugar from 1 – 3. So I would like to find a kit that will give me that without messing with a sweetening pack. Does it exist? Probably not!

Make any red wine kit, making sure you add the metabisulphite & sorbate when stabilizing. Then sweeten the wine. It's a tough decision how much sweetener to add though. Let the wine clear, and then bottle.

Steve

tan:

Why not try some of the WineExpert Island Mist lines or the Paklab Fruit summer wines.

They seem to fit what your describing.

The come in Whites and reds and some are my wife's favorites.

Tan,
WineKits was only a suggestion.
Here's a Yellow pages search link, there seems to be plents in Fredricton.

I will likely go there as I have done 2 "hard lemonade" kits there (they made it!) and I know what kind of service I will get, but I am also asking around to friends to see where they go. There are 3 other places besides WineKitz in Fredericton plus various stores that just sell the kits!

Latest posts

Back