Hello,

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to WMT! Check out the beginner wine maker thread. Do you known what kinds of wine you want to make? Ex: kits, grapes, other fruits, meads?
I have tried pomelo, coconut water, tomatoes, the best so far is ginger and turmeric. They are virtually free. Though I have to add sugar. Just started my farm in the mountains. Im going to start planting sugar cane and grapes. I already have some pineapple though no fruits yet.

I have no idea, whats the difference, and how to achieve

Dry versus sweet is easier to understand. If there is enough sugar in the must/juice the the yeast will convert all the sugar to alcohol. That level is approximately an SG of 1.090. Some fruits taste better, the flavor comes out more, with just a little bit of added sugar. Adding sugar then gets you into a grayer area of semi-sweet or sweet. The best level is what tastes good to you.

Tannin level is that mouth-puckering astringency at the finish. Some like it, some don’t. There are ways to increase tannins, such as adding tannins after fermentation. There are ways to reduce tannins, to be honest I’m not that familiar with as I like strong tannins.

Whatever style you like there are people here to help you get the result you want.

Dry versus sweet is easier to understand. If there is enough sugar in the must/juice the the yeast will convert all the sugar to alcohol. That level is approximately an SG of 1.090. Some fruits taste better, the flavor comes out more, with just a little bit of added sugar. Adding sugar then gets you into a grayer area of semi-sweet or sweet. The best level is what tastes good to you.

Tannin level is that mouth-puckering astringency at the finish. Some like it, some don’t. There are ways to increase tannins, such as adding tannins after fermentation. There are ways to reduce tannins, to be honest I’m not that familiar with as I like strong tannins.

Whatever style you like there are people here to help you get the result you want.
SG 1.090

Thanks Bob,
SG 1.090 ? I presume thats the sugar content. What instrument you use for measuring sugar level if any?

Hydrometer. Your most useful tool in the cellar. Tells you where you are, sugar wise.

Some use a refractometer, good for samples from the field, or a rough guess for a starting point. Not good once alcohol is produced by the ferment. There are tables to convert, I never bothered. Hydrometer is your friend.

Hydrometer. Your most useful tool in the cellar. Tells you where you are, sugar wise.

Some use a refractometer, good for samples from the field, or a rough guess for a starting point. Not good once alcohol is produced by the ferment. There are tables to convert, I never bothered. Hydrometer is your friend.
Thank you , I will get a hydrometer then.

Can I use hydrometer during active fermentation?. I see lots of bubbling and I presume this will affect the reading

Can I use hydrometer during active fermentation?. I see lots of bubbling and I presume this will affect the reading
Absolutely!
I take a reading daily in primary. It tells me how things are going.
You may have to spin the hydrometer to get the bubbles off.

Back