Hello from Winnipeg

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doublestorm

Junior
Reaction score
Hiya gang,
I came across the forum the other day and figured I'd sign on the dotted line!

I'm quite new to wine making and I've only tackled a few kit wines so far - I figure you need to learn to walk before you can run! Hopefully I'll gain the knowledge to be a big boy and eventually get away from the kits.

I have a chemistry degree and I've been working in a field where I've been working with water quality analyses (among other things) for the past 18 years...that's been a bit of a plus getting into this hobby/obsession! It also gives me the chance to buy my home "toys" from my suppliers from work. (Moslty higher-end analytical quality stuff that I get when my supplier has a demo blow out sale!)

Another bonus is that at work I have some amazing lab toys that I can use:
- a densitometer that reads SG to 5 decimal points
- the densitometer has a function to measure ABV to 2 decimal points
- densitometer also measures BRIX to 2 decimal points
- pH meters
- TDS meters
- conductivity and ORP meters
- a quite sophisticated auto-titrator to measure TA (we just happen to use 0.1N NaOH which is the same reagent used here...comes in handy!)
- a micro clean-room which I use for plating samples for yeast, mold, bacteria
Well, that's the tip of the iceberg for starts! :h

I know I can contribute when it comes to the chemistry/testing/water quality end of the spectrum...I'll trade ya for your knowledge of the meat-n-potatoes wine making end of things. Deal? :h

Looking forward to getting to know you all....

Cheers!

Last edited:
Welcome and I hope you stay here as you can be a great asset to us here. Having another chemist or 2 is really a great necessity here! We are here to help you on anything wine, beer or basically anything in life as when you get so many people togethere there is a wealth of knowledge in just about any area!

Welcome aboard!!! I have to agree with wade - a chemistry degree can be of great use on this forum!!!

Welcome Doublestorm. Glad you application to join WMT went thru. You know ever since Runningwolf came we had to instill some security around here:)

Always great to have a chemist aboard. Wine doesn't do what you want to do, it does what the chemistry wants it to do.

We have a fabulous group here and besides the wine we have fun goofin' off. Anxious to see what wines you are going to whip up in the lab.

Thanks for the welcomes...

Steve, I'm also glad that I slipped through...umm, I mean passed the security check!

Latest posts

Back