Hello From Texas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincennes1897

Ready to Taste
Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

I have, for many years, enjoyed the depth and complexity of a good cigar. In the beginnings I read about the process of growing fine tobacco as much as I could and it seemed like every article, every book, and every magazine continued to draw parallels to the extreme amounts of time and dedication that must be put into the process of making a fine cigar as well as a fine wine. This served as my introduction to the world of wines and I've since been trapped.

Up until now I have only enjoyed the tasting of wine. Each sip, however, would leave me more and more curious about the process required to make such a great combination of flavors and emotions. So now I begin my next journey... one that I anticipate will be quite difficult.

Please have patience with me throughout this process as I haven't the first idea about the production of wine. My desire and general willingness to learn shall be my greatest asset at this point.

Any suggestions of literature, sites, articles, or threads on this forum would that would help me begin would be greatly appreciated.

Climb aboard the SS WMT and we'll teach you everything you need to know ab out wine making. You can get your feet wet by starting with a wine making kit. What type of wine do you like?

Thank you all for the welcomes.

Wade, I generally prefer red wines to white but I make it a rule to give everything a fair try. As for specific grapes, I tend to gravitate towards a lot of Cabernets. For whites, I like the creamy, buttery tastes of Chardonnay. Ultimately, I'm not too big on overly sweet wines but not the biggest fan of overly acidic wines either. I like a full bodied wine with tons of complexity. I like my wine to challenge me and lend me the opportunity to ponder its taste for more than the time it takes me to swallow it.

I hope that helps. :/

Welcome aboard!!! You came to the right sight!! There are plenty of nice knowledgeable folks in here.

Here is a PDF that might help.

Thanks for that link! It looks like a great source. I will certainly try to get to it over the weekend.

Hi Vincennes1897

Welcome to winemakingtalk. Look through our beginner's section, I'm sure you will fine a lot of answers there and if not, just ask.

Latest posts

Back