Hello from PA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Susquehanna County, so the total other end of the state from you, Runningwolf. Too bad we're not a little closer. I don't know anyone else who does this. Close to here, I mean.

Allie, I'd like to wait longer but my carboys are tied up. I'll give it another month. Then I need to start a new batch to make room in the freezer. :h

MV, be sure to find a nursery that's at least the same zone or hardier. Even if you buy plants for your zone from a nursery with a lower number they'll be more likely to have winter kills. Also, my place is swamped with wild raspberries and blackberries. But the berries are small and hard to harvest. If you want a serious amount I'd suggest cultivars in a trellis system. It won't take much space, either. Look at Cummings Nursery for all things pear and apple related. I think they also have brambles. Just call them. 5 minutes on the phone with them and they'll have you set up. Very nice people.

I got 20 lbs of elderberries from a single plant this year. They are time consuming to clean, but worth it, in my opinion. Also, some of the new ones with purple leaves are beautiful in a garden setting. They're spendy, but they're something else. Check out Sambucus Black Lace & Sambucus Black Beauty. I have no idea on how they bear.

Elderberries are super easy to strike from cuttings.. don't buy the plants if you can get cuttings.. they grow just as fast.

Allie

How do you do it? I just transplanted 3 wild bushes into the lawn so they'd get more light. They're very tall though, and will be hard to harvest. Haw far can they be cut back while dormant?

-full of questions Mud

I have cut elderberry back to the ground in fall when it got out of control. ( about 8 inches above ground, leave some bud eyes)

they are like raspberries etc.. will come straight back up in spring.

for cuttings, take them late summer. take a woody piece about 8 cm long, you trim all but two leaves and dip the bottom cut in honey.. just push firmly into the ground.. you can cut a trench in a bit of shade in the garden with the leading edge of your garden spade. Firm in and ensure they are watered and mulched.

forget they are there til spring.

when the first shoots are established.. move them to their new home.

Allie

Latest posts

Back