Hello from Montreal, Canada

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpambianchi

Reaction score
Good day everyone!
I finally decided to join your forum. I'm looking forward to participating in your discussions and providing my insights. For those of you not familiar with me, I'm the author of Techniques in Home Winemaking (Vehicule Press, 2008) and Kit Winemaking (Vehicule Press, 2009). I'm also a contributing author to WineMaker magazine as well as serving as their Technical Editor. I am first and foremost an avid home winemaker, but I also run a commercial winery, Maleta Winery, in beautiful Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario (Canada). I have a lot of experience in the science of winemaking, which I look forward to sharing with you all. You can also check out my website.

Dan Welcome
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

I'm sure both you and our members will benifit.

Welcome to the forum Daniel. I for one look forward to your sharing with us your knowledge in winemaking. I knew I recognized that name when I saw it here. Glad to have you aboard. You aren't far away from me. I am across the border a bit in Clinton County NY.

You should come and visit me then at the winery. We'll open a few bottle and chat; after all, winemaking is all about sharing wine with those who enjoy it.

Wow, I sure feel honored that you are on our Forum. As soon as I logged on and hit active topics and saw that name I had to read the post to see if you were 1 in the same. Glad to have you aboard!

D. Pambianchi said:
You should come and visit me then at the winery. We'll open a few bottle and chat; after all, winemaking is all about sharing wine with those who enjoy it.

That would be great some day. Things are certainly hectic this time of year. Do you get out to the vineyard a lot? What kinds of wine do you make at the winery?

Yes, I do, usually every 3 weeks, more often in the summer. We make red, white, dry, sweet, Icewine, and now - my favorite - sparkling wine, traditional method, of course. Check us out here.

BTW, I'm trying to gauge interest from this group on lab services to home winemakers. I have a lab and would like to offer my services such a TA/pH measurements, free/total SO2, VA, MLF, cold stability, protein stability, sensory evaluation, fault determination, diagnostics, recommendations, etc.

I'd be interested to hear from you all.

Daniel

Dan,

Thank you for joining our forum. Your expertise will be invaluable to our members. I am currently in France, but when I get back, I would like to discuss re-printing some of your articles. I have always found them beneficial and my wine makers are always trying to make better wine and I am sure you can help.

BTW, I will be in NAPA for the conference. Maybe we can share some wine.

Thanks again for joining this forum.

Welcome Daniel,,good to have you on board,,,OK,,first question did a Vidal Ice wine juice last September in the finding stage what the best agent other than time to use ,,no sense letting your talents go to waste..............
smiley36.gif
( came from Ontario Canada)

wade said:
What is VA?

I'm sure Daniel can explain it better, but VA is Volatile Acidity. It is what you commonly smell as vinegar. Small amounts are alright in a wine, but you canmeasure it if you are worried there is too much. If high amounts are detected during fermentation you need to take corrective measures to minimize any further formation.

I think the lab could be useful for some winemakers that don't have access to any equipment themselves. I have most of the equipment needed, but hate to do that part myself. A service like yours could be nice. Where do you have your lab setup - at the winery ?

Glad to have you join us Daniel! Welcome to the forum from part of the Minnesota contingent here.

(edited to reflect preferred name, sorry about that! from personal experience, I understand!!
smiley9.gif
)

Welcome Dan,

This forum just gets better and better ( kind of like a wine aging).

Great! We'll link up in Napa then. And I'm sure we will have a good chat if you bring back a bottle of the finest claret.
smiley4.gif

BTW, EVERYONE --- I GO BY THE NAME DANIEL, NOT DAN.

You explained it very well.

Home winemakers will dismiss the need to measure VA because it can be usually detected by smell. But once you smell it, you're behind the 8 ball - it's too late. You no longer have that superb wine you have put so much effort and time into.Why not be proactive and institute preventative practices? The problem is the cost of the apparatus - it's very expensive. And that's my offer of service.

As a commercial winery operator, monitoring and controlling VA proactively is very important. I think home winemakers should too. All too often Itaste wines with high VA at competitions. It shouldn't be.

It's like checking your blood pressure; you shouldn't wait until you're in the hospital.

And BTW, wine that has turned into vinegar doesn't make for good salad dressing.

Latest posts

Back