Hello from Maine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candyapple

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Darcie and I am new to this hobby. I started making wine about a year ago, it was a blackberry merlot which I think turned out nice. I have since started a Raspberry white zin, peach fruit wine, my first skeeter pee, and a blackcherry. I think all of them are going to be good. My one concern is the blackcherry. I don't think I like the flavor at this point. It is still very young. I started it Oct. 15 and was wondering if I could change the taste by adding a Fpack of tart cherries or if I should just wait it out? I forgot to mention that I started it with a Juice concentrate that I found a the health food store.

Hey Darcie and welcome to the forum. I use to visit friends up there in Fryeburg Maine when I was much younger. It seams like a lot of people pick the blackberry merlot as a first kit wine. I also chose the same thing and that was the start to an unbelievable obsession. Sorry I can't not help with the cherry but others will chime in here in a little bit.

Hiya Darcie and welcome to the forum,

Cherry can have a bit of an earthy tasting, undertone to it.. what is it about the cherry that you are not happy with?..

yes an f-pack will help once it is finished..

Welcome to the forum. Great hobby for the long winter months of Maine. I can't help on the f-pack, my answer is always to add more oak, but for a fruit wine, I think not.

Ive never done cherry but have heard it can have a bitter taste that will somewhat settle down but possible still be there, sweetening it will hide some of this.

Yes that may be what I don't like about it. Maybe it is a bit earthy. It just seems a bit overpowering. I was thinking I would like it to be a bit more on the tart side but not too much, I don't know I am new to all of this. It may just need time. I did read that black cherry needs time to mature. Thank you all for the warm welcomes.

Howdy.
I had a blackberry that didn't have quite the flavor I wanted so after stabilizing, I took two Jars of Blackberry preserves, Dissolved them in a little hot water in a sauce pan. I filtered the seeds out, let it cool and added it for a F-pack. I got just the taste I was looking for. I did wait a few weeks to bottle just in case it clouded up a bit.
Brad

Sweet another Mainer.. Yahoo.. Welcome..

Cant help with wine sorry but.. another Mainer....

Back