Heat gun versus boiling water to seal shrink caps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the heat gun 100%. Tried boiling water on my first batch and was disappointed to say the least in the results. Heat gun (on low) gives a better more even result for me anyway.

Heat gun works better than boiling water, but I have found that a steamer works best for me. I use a steamer to press my dress clothes, so I already had one on hand.

Thanks Mike, is that a good one at 1,500w?
And, do you point the gun to the side of the caps or any special way or better way to use it?

I've never used it before.

I used a small lazy susan. Placed the bottle on it, spun it around while hitting the capsule with heat gun. after some experience you can get distance and setting right.

Geek, I have the same one from Harbor Freight. I haven't had any problems with mine yet. Once you do a couple you will get the hang of it quick.

Hold the shrink wrap capsule down and hold the gun above the bottle pointing down at the top. Once the top shrinks to the bottle it will stay in place and you can do the sides.

I always use the heat gun. Just try not to hit directly on top of cap

Will a hair dryer work or does it take a heat gun to get the job done? Reason I ask is because I just use shrink caps for wine bottles leaving the house and it really does bother me to boil a pot of water to just do a bottle or two or three.

a blow dryer on high would work fine for 2 or 3 bottles. It just takes a little longer

Years ago I stole my wife's hair dryer. I am sure she needed an excuse to buy another expensive one.

I have used this clunky hair dryer for years, it takes a little longer, but I compate this by just spacing out the capping to a few a day!

What ever works

Funny how we all have ways that work best for each of us. I used the heat gun for the last year and a half and was happy with the results until last weekend. I had 80 bottles to do and decided to try the boiling water for the first time. My results were great, only took about 2 seconds per top and much more consistent. Fewer blown out foil tops too or peeling open at the pull tab. You still have to get the temperature and dip time just right but I'm sold on water...... for this week anyway.....
Mike

If your doing 30 bottles the heat gun is the way to go. MUCH faster! I use an el cheapo, nothing fancy but it is two heat settings and Low is the better one for sure. I use my finger to press down for a few seconds until the shrink wraps tightly around the bottom then I remove my finger and start spinning the bottle slowy with one hand and pointing the gun from the top (side) and move down all the while spinning. A couple of 360's and its on to the next bottle. You will get the technique down after a couple. I try and stay away from the top as much as possible as it will tend to rise up a bit if you do hit it to much. If it does you can just press it back down flat with your finger while still warm and it will stay.

I forgot to mention that I live at high altitude (~7000ft EL) and water boils at a lower temp than at sea level. This could explain why boiling produced less than pretty results. I also didn't like wet bottles and caps to wipe down and having water trapped under the shrink cap. Seemed like a good place for mold to grow down the road

I have always used boiling water. After corking I let the bottles stand for about 2 days, then I cap 'em, label 'em and lay 'em down.:br

I read somewhere to sink the cork a little deeper, and then put a plug of wax on the top. Nice and clean looking, and also helps seal whatever the cork does not.

I just use the steam from a tea kettle. Bottle can be held upright so the cap doesn't slip off, and it only takes about 10 seconds to shrink in place.

I do boiling water. Ive never used the heat gun. All i can say is the water takes about 2 seconds to do, and when bottling gets rolling, its nice that the water shrinks the cap so quickly. I want one of those bench top shrink cappers, that would be sweet.

I would suggest to check your altitude first, before spending money on something that won't work for you, I got a heat gun from hobby lobby and it did a terrible job on my capsules, but now I am very pleased with the boiling water, it is more work but I don't have any other options, my town has an approximately altitude of 5,000-5,500...

In my opinion you're all right! I now sink my corks a bit and use wax and just the top. In the past I've used the heat gun on low and it was fast before buying the horizontal heat tunnel. I was always dead set against boiling water for all the obvious reasons. That was until I tried it one day for a demonstration video. My first thought was OMG was that fast and simple. No issues! If you're using a hair dryer, by all means I would go this route in a heart beat. If you're using a heat gun, I would stick with that. If your thinking about buying a horizontal heat tunnel, read my last sentence.

Back