Heat gun versus boiling water to seal shrink caps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
geek said:
did you ever try the heat gun?

No, that will be next in my list ,
If I can find one at cheaply at tool shop.

Are those the same ones you use to peel wall paper?

Had just one bottle to do today to bring to a function tomorrow so I used my wife's hair dryer in place of boiling water. Took longer, maybe 1 1/2 minutes, ifin you don't count the time to boil the water and didn't seem to do as neat a job. Think in the future if only a bottle or two needs to be done use the hair dryer otherwise boil water and do the 2-3 second dunk per shrink cap.

One thing I learned last time using the boiling water technique was to put my labels on after the shrink caps.

One thing I learned last time using the boiling water technique was to put my labels on after the shrink caps.
If you use labels with gum backing the condensation helps to adhere the labels:h

I use a heat gun 100% of the time. I hold the shrink cap with one finger on the top until it starts.

Last edited:
I just capped 29 bottles. I did 12 with a hair dryer.
Then I tried the boiling water!
I am sold on water.
Aside from having to carry every thing up from the basement, it worked so easily and looked so much nicer.
The hair dryer left everything wrinkly. Not to mention I had a helper with the bottles.
I might have to go back and dipp all the bottles I had previously used a hair dryer on!

I agree with the others, for a fair comparison use a cheap heat gun vs. boiling. A hair dryer would be a very last desperate heat source.

I use an industrial grade heat gun I bought from Lowes several years ago. Takes about 2 seconds. Swift, neat, and clean.

If I were capping all my bottles and not just the few that leave the house then I think I'd give the heat gun a try. Running all the bottles up to the kitchen and then back down to the basement would be a bit of a hassle and not worth the effort if the heat gun would do the job quickly and neatly.

Just did a quick search of the good ole interwebs.
I can get a heat gun kit for $19 and up.
And you can use it to strip wallpaper. As it so happens I have 2 bathrooms and a hallway of multiple layers to strip.
Mentioned it to the wife and she thought it would be a good expenditure.
She may authorize the expense this week!

Just did a quick search of the good ole interwebs.
I can get a heat gun kit for $19 and up.
And you can use it to strip wallpaper. As it so happens I have 2 bathrooms and a hallway of multiple layers to strip.
Mentioned it to the wife and she thought it would be a good expenditure.
She may authorize the expense this week!

Do you have a Harbor Freight tools supply nearby? They have them on sale for $9.99, the one I mentioned in first post.

I tried both heat gun (HF) and boiling water methods. Was not satisfied with the outcome of either. So I figured it had to be technique. Sure enough, after a little practice on some empties, the results were consistent and looked great!

I settled on the boiling water method. 3 things I recommend.
1-A hard rolling boil
2-Shrink Tool/Bag Decapper Combo. Had my local store order it and highly suggest.
3-Bottle goes straight in and straight out. You need to develop a timing but there is no wasted motion.
4-Wipe down the bottle of any condensation immediately.

That is it!

Joe R.

I've also seen people have success using an embossing gun that can be found at any craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Probably similar results as the heat gun, but a little more compact.

I have an electric tea kettle that I use that keeps the water at a consistent boil, then I just rotate the bottles through the steam. Works great, looks fabulous. This would also be a good option to plug in somewhere close to the wine production area so you don't have to lug bottles around.

I have only used boiling water and it usually works quite well. I like a good boil, but not the most rolling. It seems when I use the full rolling boil, the end caps (if there are any) pull away from the seal, probably because of the extra steam created by the higher temps. When that happens I figure either the boil is too great or I need to leave it in just a little less.

I suspect the dimpling effect some have experienced is due to that particular brand of seal. I would try other brands if I could not get a good smooth seal after dipping. Maybe some seals are better to use with a heat gun and others are fine to use boiling water.

My technique is to hold the seal on the inverted bottle with the handle of a long wooden spoon, dip the bottle into the boiling water for no more than 1-2 seconds, giving a slight twirl while it is immersed (that seems to equalize the shrinking effect) & quickly remove & dry. I keep the bottle at an angle, not straight up, because I don't want my hands over the steam.

NS

My first and LAST use of boiling water on shrink caps! :)

That's how mine look when I use my wife's hair dryer. When I use boiling water and 2-3 second dip they come out perfect. Maybe it has to do with the brand shrink caps we're using?

Latest posts

Back