Heat belt question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rslayback

Junior
Reaction score
What kind of a temp should the Brew Belt be able to keep your must at? I think mine may be defective, because the max temp it gets my must up to is 64f. This with the temp in my basement being 59 to 61f. I know it is working, because it's warm to the touch.

Which one do you have? Does it have a thermostat, or just plug and go? And how long has it been in use for this batch?

Not sure

I'm not sure of the brand, it's a few months old but never used. It's the kind you just plug into the outlet with no control.

In my ~63-64F basement my brew belt is maintaining ~75-77F. This is with some towels on top of the bucket but not hanging down and covering the belt itself.

You can get some heat adjustment by how far up or down on the bucket you place the brew belt.

In my ~63-64F basement my brew belt is maintaining ~75-77F. This is with some towels on top of the bucket but not hanging down and covering the belt itself.

You can get some heat adjustment by how far up or down on the bucket you place the brew belt.

Hey Bill would moving the belt up on the bucket add more heat? I have a problem with the belt heating the wine up too much.

Will

Hey Bill would moving the belt up on the bucket add more heat? I have a problem with the belt heating the wine up too much.

Will

I've found the lower the belt the higher the overall temperature once the must gets up to temperature. I have belts on 4 of mine right now that I'm trying to do a MLF on. I have the belts just above center maybe 1/3rd down on the carboy and I'm maintaining about 68 degrees in a 55 degree cellar.

Will

No, not from my experience. My experience has been like that of the above poster... If you want more heating than put the belt lower and higher if you want less heating. I've no records or experimentation to prove that this is the case just testimonial that it is what I believe I've observed. I can't even tell you what the difference in temperature would with the belt placed at the very bottom vs. the very top of the wine surface.

Ok thanks Bill and Doug for the info. I will experiment on my next ferment.

Will

If your belt is warm to the touch then it is ample for warming wine. about 72 F feels neutral to most people. so if it is warm it is higher than that, covering the carboy and belt with a towel or something to insolate it decreases radiational cooling, once the container which will have it's own heat transference rate is warmed equal to the belt the must will also follow suit. liquid conducts heat 25 Times faster than air. So at this point the must/wine will heat evenly and maintain a more consistent temperature.

If your belt is warm to the touch then it is ample for warming wine. about 72 F feels neutral to most people. so if it is warm it is higher than that, covering the carboy and belt with a towel or something to insolate it decreases radiational cooling, once the container which will have it's own heat transference rate is warmed equal to the belt the must will also follow suit. liquid conducts heat 25 Times faster than air. So at this point the must/wine will heat evenly and maintain a more consistent temperature.

I'm pretty certain that the literature that came with the belt cautioned not to cover the belt. I'll see if I can dig out the instruction sheet in order to confirm what I just wrote.

I'm pretty certain that the literature that came with the belt cautioned not to cover the belt. I'll see if I can dig out the instruction sheet in order to confirm what I just wrote.

My response was not in response to you, Just a general application, No need to look, Mine does not say that, in fact says that placing an Insolation blanket may help improve performance, Different manufactures? Different Quality? endless possibilities!

Latest posts

Back