Heart warming

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very moving and touching JS...Thanks for sharing it and keeping me ever mindful and thankful for what I have..............FREEDOM!!!!

Thanks for the reminder to email Leinie Princess's husband! He only had to go to Kuwait this time!
smiley32.gif
What a great reminder for Memorial Day weekend.

JS, very moving and thought provoking and most of all a reminder to us all.

I hope your daughter is well and closer to coming home!!!

Ramona

I came "of age" at the end of the Vietnam War. My draft lottery number was 105, and that last year of the draft they only got to 89, so I never served.

I feel like I am making up for that now, as I work for the US Navy. I have learned a lot since I started working at Naval Support Activity Mid-South last June.

A little over a year ago my daughter's boyfriend's father died in his sleep. Tom was a retired LCDR (Lieutenant Commander) in the Navy, having enlisted as an E1, worked his way up, got commissioned as an officer (a Mustang Officer in military parlance), and rose to LCDR (Major in the Army).

At the burial he was accorded full military honors, including a 21 gun salute and Taps. I cried at the beauty of the ceremony. (I'm kind of teary now.) What really broke me down was when the leader of the flag folding team took the flag, with the 21 shell casings from the salute tucked inside, and said something to the effect of, "The President of the United States wished to present you with this flag, and the shell casings fired over your husband's final resting place, in gratitude for his service - and your's - to the United States of America." That's when I lost it.

Two months later I was working at NSA Mid-South, and who was working in the same building as me, but the two sailors who had done the flag ceremony. I thought, while I was watching it, that that was what they did in the Navy. I was wrong.

DC1 Rex Barnes, the leader, is a Damage Controllman First Class. He was just filling a shore billet, and is now back with the fleet. His assistant, MA3 Allison Curtis is still with us, but her real job is Master at Arms, a cop. Her current billet is training Honor Guards.

To know these people, and to work with them every day, is to know that our people in uniform are the finest in the world. You can't imagine the pride I feel to serve with these people every day.

Edited by: PeterZ

Peter I remember waiting in anticipation at the listing of the lottery numbers. If memory serves me correctly, I ended up drawing number 351 so was never called on to serve either. My brother on the other hand drew number 9 or close to that. He went down a few days later and enlisted in the army. With his biology background in animal research, he went to Walter Reid and worked in medical research for his service time.

What type of work do you do for the Navy out of curiosity- or is that knowledge classified?

PeterZ. I grew up on the during the Vietnam war and was sheltered and didn't understand...4 girls in the family no boys....then people started coming home that were my age and I didn't understand ,,,,no one expained, my dad watched the news intently, pushing us girls away eventhough we had questions. The friends my age, who came back,were in such a state that I didn't understand,,,,,now I do..

These men and women who serve us should receive the highest of honor and appreciation. Being a girl in the 60's and 70's with no brothers and no relatives who served was an unusual position to be in.

I wish I had a more personal realtionship to that time.....I try to feel it but very foreign to me......but I still have the sence of extreme pride looking back on that time...then and now!!! RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

Back