Head space in 5 gal carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
StToddy ) - I went with the smaller gauge with 1/8"NPT , because after I cut off the very top of the applicator it would screw right into the applicator . ( I put silicon on the threads before I screwed it on and let it dry overnight . I try to keep things as small and lite as possibly so it is not to heavy and bulky . Also the applicator is graduated in size like the HE bulb .

Steve ) - I like the idea of the gum stopper ( the more vacuum you apply into carboy the stopper would be pulled into the neck for a tighter seal ) . Maybe you could have 2 designs , (1) your basic one like you have now , (2) or a deluxe one with gum stopper , valve & cap , gauge ) .

Hi Steve - No big deal. Your product is good and fairly priced. I will probably buy again. However, as others have observed, the bulb may not always be a reliable indictor if it locks in the vacuum position. What if that aspect could somehow be improved? Just to brainstorm - what if something like maybe Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex Tire Sealant was injected into the bulb to create enough spongy material inside that would prevent the walls of the bulb from locking, but instead allowed it to always pop back into the full bulbous shape? Just sayin.

Was cleaning out my wineroom junk drawer and found a relic I thought I had tossed——A headspace eliminator I rigged up a few years back before I scaled up (and before I had a clue what I was doing honestly).

I remember a few failed attempts before MacGuyver’ing this gem. I used it for about a month I think. And she still works too!
A broken racking cane, tubing clamp, standard ballon, and silicon tape. Ghetto fabulous lol
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0388.JPG

Back