Head Space after you remove the fruit.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David04472

Casual Observer
Reaction score
I just transferred my green tomato wine from the bucket to a 6 gallon car b oy. In doing so, I removed the 24 lb bag of sliced tomatoes from the bucket and discarded. Due to the size of the bag I only had approx. 5 gallons of must to transfer. I topped it off with water thinking that the recipe was designed for 6 gallons, that must be the right thing to do. Was I right? Options? :a1

Hard to say without the recipe.
I would have ;
Started in 2 fermenting buckets since you had 24# IN ONE BAG. i FIND IT AMAZING THAT AFTER YOUREMOVED 24# THAT YOU HAD 5 GAL.

I would not have topped it off with one gal of water . Now that threw it off bigtime. I would have racked to 5 gal carboy.
Post recipe...

Recipe for one gallon.

3.5 lbs. Tomato
6 Cloves
1/2 oz. Ginger Root
6 pts Water
2.5 lbs Sugar
2 tsp Acid Blend
1/4 tsp Tannin
1 tsp Nutrient
1 Campdne Tablet
1 pkg Wine Yeast.

Added everything (times 6) as the recipe called for, except the sugar. Added sugar to a SG of 1.095 and adjusted the acid to .65. After 7 days the SG was .995

I wont be of much help on this as I have no idea what tomatoes would render as far as juice as I have never made a veggie wine but I can almost guaranty adding a gallon of water afterwards was not the right move. You have diluted the abv of this batch a lot and also may have just thrown off the PH and TA.

I personally believe that topping isn't all that needed if the wine is still fermenting or degassing. If I move my wine from primary to secondary and there is still some fermentation going on, the CO2 given off by the yeast will form a protective blanket over the surface of the wine and will eventually push all the oxygen out of the carboy through the airlock. Topping up is more of an issue after the wine is done and you are bulk aging.

Just my opinion, but I feel it is never a good thing to top off with water unless the recipe specifically call for it. Water will lower the all over acid level (leaving the wine open to decay and oxidation) as well as thinning out the flavor of the wine.

as an alternative, you could...

1) top off with wine
2) use glass marbles to take up the extra room.
3) go with a 5 gallon carboy.
4) use wine oil - I am not sure of this and don't remember the exact name, but this product is an oil that floats on top of the wine to act as a seal and limit air exposure.

again, this is just my opinion.

johnT.

Ok, due to an above average crop of tomatoes this year, I am going to start another batch of Green Tomato wine tonight. I like Tom's idea regarding two fermenting buckets. I'm thinking I will make the recipe for (7) gallons with the intent of finishing off (6). What concerns me is the recipe calls for (6) pints of water. Appartently they are assuming 1/2 gallon of juice from the tomatoes themselves (not likely). Help folks. Two and Two are not making Four. The recipe is posted above.:slp

Yes you would likly get the much and remember that the sugar will displace/add volume as well

Thanks for your help Tom. If it comes out the way it has in the past, There will be a bottle in the mail to you :b

Latest posts

Back