Having a problem with a pail

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chateau Joe

Snowbelt Fermenter
Reaction score
I've never had this problem before. I'm hoping maybe one of you might have a suggestion. I recently purchased a 6 gallon pail of Moscato Italiano from Musto. I picked it up the day it arrived and it was still cold but fermentation had started. Int. gravity was 1.085. I added 5 tsp yeast nutrient and a little yeast energizer then Lalvin K1-V116 yeast. House temperature is about 68 degrees. The fermentation started well but slowed down quickly. I wasn't seeing anymore bubbles in the airlock so I checked and my gravity was 1.040. I think I'm stuck. What would you recommend to get my wine to the finish line.

You didn’t tell us how long it took to get from 1.085 to 1.040....... A day? A week?

Did the pail come with any instructions? The website has a couple different instruction sheets depending on the specific type of juice purchased. One indicates that yeast has already been added and no must adjustment indicated, the other recommends making a yeast starter as well as checking for possible must adjustments.

Did the pail come with any instructions? The website has a couple different instruction sheets depending on the specific type of juice purchased. One indicates that yeast has already been added and no must adjustment indicated, the other recommends making a yeast starter as well as checking for possible must adjustments.

Reds come with yeast added, whites do not.

Did you add the yeast dry or did you rehydrate? The K1 yeast is good and should have taken off, but if you tossed it in dry on top of an already fermenting bucket, it may do nothing. If it were me, I would add additional nutrients to the pail, like Fermaid K, and get a good yeast starter going and try again. Based on what is in stock on the website, you probably have the fresh juice that does not have yeast added.

http://www.juicegrape.com/jg_sitespecific/docs/support/Musto Wine Grape_Yeast Starter Procedure.pdf

You went down from 20 brix to 10 in 12 days. I expect by today you are at even lower... Just a little slower.

Back