WineXpert Have I ruined this batch?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overpinot

Junior
Reaction score
I have a WE French Chardonnay aging in bulk carboy (6 gal). It's been in the carboy since April for a long bulk aging, and partly because I got lazy and didn't want to bottle it yet. It has been in a closet out of the sun and in constant temperature. I just noticed today that somehow the airlock got knocked off the top, exposing the whole carboy to air. I believe its only been in that condition for 3 days at the most, possibly shorter. Has the introduction of outside air set it up for oxidation? I don't notice any bubbles coming out of the airlock at this point, although I don't think it was before then anyway. Is there anything I should do right away to stop any oxidation, like put in some pot mbs? if so, how much should I add? Should I get it out of the carboy and in bottles ASAP? Should I check recipes for vinegar? Help!!

If the carboy was full to about 1-2" from the top and it was only 3 days, you could be okay. Have you tasted the wine? When did you add your last dose of k-meta? If it were more than a two months ago, you might want to hit it with another 1/4 teaspoon.

I agree with Rocky except I would only add 1/8 tsp of k meta if its only been about 2 monthssince your last dosage. If lnger like around 3-4 months then 1/4 tsp this time and 1/8 from here on in every 4 months if still bulk aging.

Thanks. It has been more than 2 months, more like four, since last k meta addition. I added 1/4 teaspoon and will add again in 4 months unless bottle sooner. Does it need to be stirred periodically to keep it effective? I will do a taste test soon to see if it survived. is there any tell-tale sign of oxidation or will it be obvious? if oxidation has begun, will the k meta stop it or is this batch already toast? Thanks for the suggestions.

Being a white, it would start turning brown if overly oxidized. You are likely just fine. As mentioned, 1/8 tsp of Kmeta might be in order.

Back