Haskap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ang

Reaction score
My haskap bushes are loaded with berries and I hate the taste of them fresh picked. Has anyone made wine with them? Any recipes would be appreciated!
I don't like to eat fresh rhubarb either so I thought I'd ask rather than waste such beautiful fruit!
Thanks!

haskaps make a great wine! Mine are still too young to bear fruit, but I have been able to try some. rhubarb also makes a great wine, never let any fruit you have go to waste!

I to have 4 bushes i planted 1.5 yrs ago. To early but i am anticipating trying them to see if they do indeed taste similar to a blueberry and to make wine with them

I've discovered that some varieties of haskap have much better flavor than others. I have Tundra, Cinderella & Aurora; Aurora has, by far, the best flavor of all three. The other two aren't bad, just not as good. Also, 3 varieties make for much more genetic diversity, better pollination & better harvest.
Regards, GF.

I'm hoping I get some haskap bushes next year. A couple of blueberries too. Even though there's "millions" of bushes about an Bukhara drive. I think haskaps will be sweet. They even grow in Alaska.

While we're on the subject of Haskap berries, I planted 9 bushes this spring, they did really well all summer, but in early Sept. they started losing their leaves! Is this normal as they are an early fruiting plant? Or have mine developed some fungus or disease of some sort? Dale.

It all depends where you live. I am in Cincinnati Oh. If you live in Canada, you are on schedule. if you live in florida, you have a problem.

Pam in cinti

While we're on the subject of Haskap berries, I planted 9 bushes this spring, they did really well all summer, but in early Sept. they started losing their leaves! Is this normal as they are an early fruiting plant? Or have mine developed some fungus or disease of some sort? Dale.

Sounds normal to me, Haskap are deciduous & therefore lose their leaves in autumn. They usually turn yellow, then brown & fall; often they fall while still yellow. Sounds like normal Haskap life cycle to me.

As far as disease goes, many varieties of Haskap are susceptible to powdery/downy mildew, which can cause the leaves to turn yellow and/or brown too, but there will also be a sort of pale, whitish, powdery looking substance on the leaf & often the leaf will curl, sort of rolling up on itself (not always); though there are several other things (like insects) that can cause leaf rolling.

This time of year though, it's most likely just the normal cycle, NOT an infection. Just to be on the safe side, after all the leaves fall, rake them out from under/around the bushes & dispose of them. If there really is an infection, it will survive in fallen leaf matter & reinfect the new leaves in spring. Also, control any aphids; they're vectors for powdery/downy mildew, meaning they carry & spread the disease. You could use Malathion insecticide, which works well, or if you'd rather avoid toxic chemicals, use ladybugs. Ladybugs & their larva love to eat aphids & other pest insects, so do Green Lacewing larva. You can usually find containers of live ladybugs at your local lawn & garden center or hardware store; if not, you can always get them & many other beneficial insects online from here:
http://www.arbico-organics.com/category/beneficial-insects-organisms

Just keep an eye on the leaves in spring & summer for any whitish powdery/fuzzy looking stuff on the leaves, if you find any, it might be some form of powdery/downy mildew. I've had it on my Haskap bushes & Virginia Creeper, I treated both with Bicarb & while it took 2 applications, they're both just fine. I used this:
http://www.montereylawngarden.com/p...&240000p=e2a54fa8-fbf9-4861-86fd-83e2ef0162ca

I think your best bet right now is to proceed as if your plants are just fine. Let the leaves fall like they're supposed to, then rake up those leaves & dispose of them. Then come spring & summer, just keep an eye on the leaves.
Hope that helps, regards, GF.

Last edited:

In addition to what GF has said, I have read that haskaps typically lose their leaves VERY early the first year in the ground, to the point where they look dead. But they aren't. This was definitely my experience. And powdery mildew is a big problem for me too.

I am tossing this out for future haskap growers. (honey berry)
I've discovered that some varieties of haskap have much better flavor than others. I have Tundra, Cinderella & Aurora; Aurora has, by far, the best flavor of all three. The other two aren't bad, just not as good. Also, 3 varieties make for much more genetic diversity, better pollination & better harvest.
Regards, GF.

week one June; this is my first crop, ,,, when do you’all decide to pick? I am on the learning curve
IMG_1164.jpeg
Aurora: pH 2.96; TA 2.8%; 1.047; average 1.25gm/ 2.8cm per berry; smells like red raspberry; fruity taste; intense red color; fairly easy to press juice
HoneyBee: pH 2.83; TA 3.69%; SG sample too small; average 0.37gm/ 1.9cm per berry; smells like red raspberry; light astringent (tannic) taste, fruity, with unusual flavor ?cat pee?; intense staining red color; fairly easy to press; small seeds like raspberry or gooseberry

2022 crop from a WisVinter member: pH 2.99; TA 2.8%; 1.042; unknown variety

Last edited:
Portland nursery carries honeyberrys if your in Oregon. Honeyberries.pdf
The blue series does well for me here in the Puget Sound Z8B. It ripens later so there are more pollinators about.
Thanks for sharing this! I am in zone 8, so it looks like there are some varieties that would grow here. I will look into this for spring planting next year.

Back