Has to be a better way

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I soak mine in a cooler with oxyclean for about 6 hours. I then use a scraper that has a razor blade in it. The tougher ones get soaked a little longer and that usually does the trick. I have noticed that the more expensive the wine the harder it is to get the label off.
This is the procedure I also use. ;)

Oxy clean in big rubbermaid tub. I soak em as long as needed. I collect bottles from recycling and have learned with labels come off easy and that is all I take now. For really cool bottles you are dying to use, if oxyclean does not work, I use vinegar and soak in that. Haven't tried the microwave yet.

I also soak in oxyclean in a giant tote. Scrape with a razor blade or utility knife.

I use the wire wheel on my bench grinder. I hook up the shop vac to catch the fuzz.

I soak mine in my utility sink in very hot tap water and oxyclean. Some labels float off, need a little help with the edge of a chef's knife and others are a real bear to get off. I find that the wines from Australia are generally the toughest and Italy is the easiest. I also have found that many of the adhesives can be cleaned off with a Brillo pad. The real tough adhesive requires mineral spirits. I did two cases yesterday in about two hours elapsed time (less than 1 hour attended time).

Back