Has anyone tried this...?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colorado_wade

Reaction score
The first kit I ever bottled was an En Primeur Super Tuscan, and it was bottled on 1/14/17. When I bottled it, I wanted to experiment a bit, so in 6 of the bottles, I dropped in 4-5 medium toast American oak cubes, just to see if it would change the character of the wine much. A couple weeks ago, my wife and I opened a bottle that had the oak cubes in it, and it was incredible. We were absolutely shocked at how good it was, and only a little over a year after bottling. The next day we opened one of the un-oaked bottles, and far less impressive. I mean the difference was staggering!! I would put the oaked version up against any $30 bottle I've ever had...it was that good. Has anyone ever tried this, and if so, did you have similar results?

Cheers!

4-5 Oak Cubes per bottle seems like a lot to me, since normally you only put (and I am guessing at this number) 30-40 in 6 gallons. I am be concerned that it would overoaked. Although, if that's the oak level you like then it works for you. I don't think I would do that. Usually, I leave my oak product in about a week or two longer than I think I should, since I know the oak taste will fall off over time. Not sure that will happen with the cubes in the bottle.

that was my concern too cmason1957, which is why I only did 6 bottles. But, with a year and 4 months in bottle it tasted fantastic, and didn't seem over oaked at all. I would equate it to a Napa cab that gets aged in new oak. I would guess that the cubes probably did their job for the first 5-6 weeks, and then don't have much affect after that, but would love to hear more feedback from others that might have tried it.

convention is to oak in bulk. then you can taste and monitor the amount of oak contribute to the wine and achieve the taste level you desire.

I think I will stick with oaking in bulk. Gives me the opportunity to taste and adjust. Also I give a lot of bottles away and don’t want debris dropping out of a bottle. Really can’t see much of a difference between doing it in bottle versus bulk other than inability to taste and adjust. Out of curiousity, What advantage do you see of doing it in bottle?

After think about it, one advantage would be for the wine maker who doesn’t bulk age, they can oak in bottle. I split some of my batches and only oak 1/2 a batch. I usually like the oakier one more, but a few times preferred unoaked.

I never really viewed it as an advantage. It was really just an experiment. I don't have oak barrels, so I never really attained the level of oakiness that my wife and I prefer. I wanted to just try with a few bottles, and found the results to be quite enjoyable. I have a Stag's Leap Merlot in secondary fermentation right now, and will definitely try to get the oak level I want in bulk with some spirals, so I don't have to put cubes in the bottles. But, it was a neat little experiment, and I'm definitely glad I tried it, so I know that good results are possible.

The first kit I ever bottled was an En Primeur Super Tuscan, and it was bottled on 1/14/17. When I bottled it, I wanted to experiment a bit, so in 6 of the bottles, I dropped in 4-5 medium toast American oak cubes, just to see if it would change the character of the wine much. A couple weeks ago, my wife and I opened a bottle that had the oak cubes in it, and it was incredible. We were absolutely shocked at how good it was, and only a little over a year after bottling. The next day we opened one of the un-oaked bottles, and far less impressive. I mean the difference was staggering!! I would put the oaked version up against any $30 bottle I've ever had...it was that good. Has anyone ever tried this, and if so, did you have similar results?

Cheers!
Interesting idea. I believe this requires further experimentation. Going to try it on a few bottles per batch in the near future.

I bought some Marquette to try before I planted the gapes. It was bottled unoaked and it seemed to be missing something. I opened my remaining bottles and added ~3 oak cubes or beans (Med Toast French) per bottle and recorked with a new cork. Laid them down for 4 weeks and tried one......

Amazing difference. Day and night.

I would much rather oak in bulk but in this instance it really worked out nicely and made it possible to see how the wine would taste they way I wanted it.

That was my experience too. The difference was staggering. I'm going to pull the corks on the other 23 bottles, and drop a few in. The bottles with the oak were so much more enjoyable, that it's worth the effort to do that.

I use oak barrels and I think that's the best way to go. Having said that, I also have extra wine (Cabernet) aging in a tank and some wine in a third-year barrel. I bought some medium plus Amer oak spirals (8") to add to the barrel and the tank. Before I added them, I drew out a half glass sample (from the 3rd yr barrel), tasted it, then stirred the glass vigorously with one of the spirals. I was amazed how much it changed just from a stir! I'm sure some "oak dust" from the spiral contributed to the quick impact, but I was very impressed with the difference. So yes, I would guess a few cubes in a bottle would be impressive as well if you weren't bulk aging.

I see oak like adding spices to food. How much and what kind depends on the food, but too much can ruin a good dish.

My winemaking partner @4score made a best in class Barbera, while my same wine that I over oaked, Barbera wasn’t even entered. The shame of it was that I knew it was a special wine, right from the beginning, and I made the oaking mistake, one which I have not repeated.

Over oaking is one of those mistakes in winemaking you only make once!

I've done it once as well, a nice Meglioli cab that came out great until I started monkeying around with too many spirals. Had lots of wines going and kind of forgot about taste testing it, its still drinkable if you like fresh cut plywood....

Latest posts

Back