Harvesting MLB

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkeeler

Reaction score
Is there any way to harvest and save the MLB from your grape fermentation? Seems like a bit of a waste to buy another packet (at $8-10/g) for every wine over and over. How much MLB is left in wine after the post-fermentation sulphiting and aging? Is there anyway to inoculate oak spirals or staves with the bacteria, and save them somehow, to infect the next batch? I've heard of barrels that are inoculated (infested? LOL) with the bacteria and initiate MLF in any wine they come in contact with.

I read about a man who put a spiral in his wine while it was undergoing mlf.He then put it the freezer and uses it on his carboys to put them thru ml.Personally i would flip for the new bacteria each time.

Is there any way to harvest and save the MLB from your grape fermentation? Seems like a bit of a waste to buy another packet (at $8-10/g) for every wine over and over. How much MLB is left in wine after the post-fermentation sulphiting and aging? Is there anyway to inoculate oak spirals or staves with the bacteria, and save them somehow, to infect the next batch? I've heard of barrels that are inoculated (infested? LOL) with the bacteria and initiate MLF in any wine they come in contact with.

Here is what I do. when I do the Chilean, Ca, and Italian juices I MLF all Reds but, I use VP41 good for 66 gallons under $30.00. Now I dont make 66 gal but do at least 36 at a time of reds

Latest posts

Back