Hardy Kiwis for wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cracked Cork

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck growing hardy kiwis to make wine with? So far our experience has been less than exciting growing them. I have huge females that the bark splits off of the trunk when they get to be 3 years old, my first male died and his replacement didnt bloom yet so I have a bunch of females with flowers but no male. The vines are nice and strong but at 3 years old the dam bark just splits off and the vine dies. I was thinking this year maybe to get pipe insulating foam to cover them to keep the bark from coming off over the winter. We are in zone 6, I dont think the growers should advertise these things are hardy to zone 6 when the bark just falls off of them even when you dont get a bad winter!!

Havent had any fruit yet so cant tell how thats going to turn out.

Cracked Cork in WV

You make Elderflower wine...maybe Kiwi flower wine is on tap..

So far I have just one Elderberry that is of blooming age...I might just pick the flowers this year...they are really pretty.

Sorry CrackedCork, I too can not help with the Kiwi question, however, I would have to agree that zone 6 would seem a stretch far north for this type plant, but I have never grown them.

NW: I too haveelderberries that are flowering out a couple of heads, but I'm traveling around and marking a few spots that have a ton of Wild elderberry bushes. I will travel back around this fall and collect all the beries and see what can be made with them. Even though I have heard that wild elderberries are not as good as .... domestic? Is that what their called? but they are free, so I won't complain if they arn't as good.

Back