Happy Easter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a bunch of dried fruits and bread out for the Robins...they were actually hanging around the downstairs patio door....as well put out plenty of bird seed for the other early arrivals...this morning there were 2 rabbits out there having a feast...they won't be having a good Easter...They have eaten so many plants this winter and we are over run with them...I am especially mad that they ate a small Mugo Pine and a climbing Hydrangea right to the ground ....right beside the house...as well as an Elderberry and a small Mountain Ash...haven't checked the trees in the shelterbelt yet.....Gurrrrr! Hate them wascal w'abbits....Happy Easter...non the less.

Happy Easter all !! I covered my Muscadines, Elderberry Trees, Blackberries and Blueberries last night from a predicted low of 21 degrees for us brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. My yard looks more like it is decorated fo halloween
smiley36.gif

Waldo said:
Happy Easter all !! I covered my Muscadines, Elderberry Trees, Blackberries and Blueberries last night from a predicted low of 21 degrees for us brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. My yard looks more like it is decorated fo halloween
smiley36.gif

When I cover stuff outside I think it looks like a landfill....
smiley36.gif

7* this morning...what ahppened to spring????

Happy Easter...

Waldo, Mine looks like that plus tent city..... I have water hoses going everywhere, extension cords with lights on under sheets and plastic and a tent over my vine trellis with plastic the sheets with an electric heater and a small fan to move air...... kinda sad to look at but I think everthing will come through ok, a little harm, but nothing major. MY pear tree was the only one I couldn't get covered and it's loaded with pears this year, we will have to see what happens to it. I'll get some picures since it's all staying up till the middle of the week.

This year it is "The Grinch Stole Spring". Most of the country started out warm this spring and what a change. Everybody is having extended cold weather now. I sincerely wish everyone whose plants, vines, bushes, and trees had blossomed the best of luck. Being from the north I know late spring frosts and freezes can be nerve wracking. Good luck all. As I write this, it is 22 degrees outside and snow coming down.

Got down in the 30's last night and it is only 40 right now. Crazy cold here for Houston. I thought I better snap a couple of a pictures of the buds on my cactus collection.

Although
20070408_062034_100_0894_Small.jpg
they are probably too young to even support the buds this cold spell might cause them to drop. If I get a chance to see it bloom it will be beautiful.....it's called Fruhlings Gold.
20070408_062310_fruelings_gold_.jpg

This is what it will look like....Compliments of someone elses green thumb.I just love these plants !!!! RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

WOw....... Very pretty Ramona. Thanks for sharing that with us northerners that started to get a sample of it. Between you, Applemans Brother and NW's Basement, we have all the spring healing we need right here.

Wow Jobe, that sounds like quite the effort to keep them batches of wine, UH UH I mean plants healthy!
smiley36.gif

It's been an experience.....

First night I went and bought a bunch of garden hose, splitters, timer and oscilators to water the plants at night. I didn't like the looks of the ice on them in the morning, so I went back and bought a bunch of extension cords, splitters, high output lights (they get really hot) and some plastic. That seems tp work pretty good. Just went out and checked the vines and the temp outside is about 45ish and the temp inside the tent is about 55ish, so I'm very pleased with that. I got the same results with a high output light and flannel sheets. Flannel sheets work the best in holding out te cold, and it puts a smile on the peach tree's. We'll see how much all the plants apreciated my efforts in a few months.

in the meantime........ I still have to face my neighbors
smiley9.gif

And trying to keep jetliners from using my back yard as a landing strip
smiley36.gif

(side Note) Hey Wade. We are getting ready to go to my ex-sister inlaws house inAppex. We will be traveling right by your sisters house.......... Wish I knew were she lived, and wehad the time to stop.......Someday.....Edited by: jobe05

My tomatoes were hopefully saved by the blinking miniature christmas lights I threw under the plastic at the last minute. They were the only ones I could find. At least it stayed above freezing, barely.

Brian

Scott and Deb,
Congratulations on your baptism. This will be an easter to remember.

Shhhhh!!!! ....Listen up...Don't tell anyone.....we have saved our garden in the fall by burning old tires....Light them after dark [so no one can see the smoke] with some diesel fuel..they will burn for hours and keep the frost away...dispose of the evidence in the morning...You heard it from the Easter Bunny....
bunny1.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

The Easter Bunny never came this year to my house, now I know why!? Northern Winos picture shows it all.
smiley19.gif
No, not really!
smiley36.gif

Yet, ithas beenan stressfully start of Easter. My daughter being in themilitary as most of you know, was stranded at the Tokyo airport with lost passport papers. Not knowing the language, understanding the written phone card and having trouble trying to explain to someone she felt as if she was lost in "The Terminal" Krystal being 22 years of age, alone and scaredshe handled herself well, Mom trying to keep a soft controlled tone to ease her insecurities, making sure togive her the confidencethat she needed to be calm and everything will be just fine. (I think mom lost it though)! Yes, I saw the movie "The Terminal", but when it is one of your own, it sinks in deeper.How frustrating it can beto try and make someone understand the language ( from both sides). You would think there would have been an interpreter somewhere. After multiple attempts she finally got things straightened out and is now at a motel in Korea waiting for a bus tomorrow to take her to her Finlay destination in North Korea. I thank God for keeping her safe!

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL! Edited by: jsmahoney

What an awful thing to happen to her. I'm glad she is finally getting where she is supposed to go. Must have been a trying time for all.

Happy Easter to Krystal...hope she is somewhere safe and to all the troops...Happy Easter and Thank You!!!

Sorry to hear about your daughter JS, what a terrible feeing that must
be to be stuck in the middle of without anyone understanding whats
going on. God bless her!

Janet,

So sorry to hear about Krystal. Everytime I travel out of the country, I worry about something like that. Fortunately, I don't leave the good ole U.S. that much.

Glad to hear she is on her way. Tell her again, how much I appreciate her service for me and my country. God Bless her and her family!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you Janet and Krystal and we hope she stays safe.

It is a great time to remember that only two people have died for each and everyone of us:

The American solider who died foryour freedom so we can live like we do in the best country in the world.

Jesus Christ who died for your sins so you couldhave eternallife in heaven with him and God the father.

Latest posts

Back