half bottle hunting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
:bt hi,
does anyone know a place that sells 28mm screw top, half size bottles with dark color, all I can find is clear, I wish to use them for reds,,,,
I am already starting to stock up on 1-ltr dark bottles
but wish a few to bottle odd amounts and such,
I am looking for an online place beings I do live a ways from much of anything, nearest large town is 50 mile,, nearest city is 150 mile, so I am very limited,, shoot nearest town to me has around 600 people counting dogs an cats, maybe even some chickens in the count,,,,
thank you,,,,

Might your local bar, social clubs like the Elks or restaurant provide you with empties? Might your beer drinking buddies/work colleagues?

Actually, I find it more convenient to use beer bottles and a bottle capper. Keeps the wine sealed perfectly and it's just the right serving size.

local bar 40 miles away, on top of which to be honest I don't get out and about much anymore other then yard and pasture,, in last 4 year, triple by-pass,,, crack skull (horse),,,
busted ribs different horse,, broke back yet another horse, 4 renal failures, 1 coma, horrible feet due to diabetes, and resuscitated once, reason to make wine no more #amn pills,,lol but I will look into screw top beer bottles,,
thank you

hi tom,
yeah they are pricey but I only need maybe a case, but aint them at mid-west cork type except for the clear, I'm starting to wonder if they make a screw finish 375 ml in a color, aw truth be I'm probably over wanting, the 750's will work I just wondered if you bottle and have enough left for less then a bottle a few would be nice,

Yes, those I linked to are cork type bottles. I don't know if they make screw cap bottles in that size. You could probably get by with regular 750 ml bottles if you need the screw cap type.

Next time you go to the store or gas station look for the soda/juice cooler. Those snample drinks come in glass. With a screw cap top. They work just fine for odd amounts of wine. They take a number 6.5 stopper as well:) I usually drink my odd lots first instead of aging them. So I don't worry about what type of bottle they go in. If you want it dark just add a few strips of tape. Or paint the bottle.

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Actually, I find it more convenient to use beer bottles and a bottle capper. Keeps the wine sealed perfectly and it's just the right serving size.

Great idea! I do not know why that never occurred to me, but like you said perfect serving size (for a weekday anyways...) easy to open and can be stored standing up. Any expected issues with aging?

I don't think those an apple lids reveal well for long term storage. I prefer beer bottles with crown caps for sample serving sizes as I said before.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Another possible solution is Dos Equis and a bottle capper. Drink well my friend!

Cheers!

I don't always bottle wine in beer bottles, but when I do, I use Dos Equis bottles.

Latest posts

Back