My Late Intro

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deRicardo

Reaction score
I am new here. I kind of jumped on your forum without first introducing myself. I'll fix that right now.

I live in beautiful Northern California in Lake County, which is just north of Napa County and Sonoma County. I am also retired.

I live right on the big lake, eleven miles long and several miles wide with a view that is outstanding. The lake is at 1300 feet elevation and my house is at 2500 feet, so I can see many miles of water. By some fishing magazines, the lake is considered the second best bass destination in America, so like this weekend like most around here, the bass boats are speeding out in all directions. The lake tends to have lots of algae which helps the fishing.

We are about an hour and a half from the nearest sizable city, which is Santa Rosa. We are about 2.5 hours from Sacramento. Both are a slightly hard drive through lots of curvy mountain roads.

The number one product from here in Lake County is pears, we are the largest producer in America. Lots of walnuts produced, too. The county is also a large wine producer. Actually, it is less of a wine producer and more of a wine grape producer. There are about 25 wineries but well over 100 vineyards. Most of the grapes go to wineries in other counties to make California wine. The area has a very hot climate, compared to Napa and Sonoma. Lots of 100 degree days with much less ocean influence than Napa. The number one grape is Sav Blanc because it is a hot weather grape. Lots of tempranello, syrah, cab, and merlot are grown here, also. It's a little hot for Cards but they still grow some here.

I have been making wine from 5 or 6 years and thoroughly enjoy it. I sometimes help an Italian-born friend with an eight-acre vineyard of syrah. I make much of my own wine each year but still buy lots of commercial wine, if it is priced right. Being retired, I try hard to find those value wines that are still very nice but priced around $12 or less (mostly less) per bottle. Trader Joe's and Grocery Warehouse are my friends.

Outside of church, wine making and most anything associated with wine are sort of my life. I see wine as a living thing that can grow and thrive while being nurtured. I don't in any way consider myself an expert, but I guess I could spend 18 hours a day talking about it.

Being close to the lake, the wife and I love to take our kayaks out in the cool of the evenings (since even with very hot days, the evenings cool down nicely). We also love to play cards.

Thanks for having me!

Welcome to WMT deRicardo! It sounds like you have a great life. Thanks for sharing the verbal picture of your place in the world.

Hello all..

Actually i am a newbie in this forum. And i am very happy to join this big place. I hope all are will be helpful and give me good solution in anything about. Welcome me all thanks.

Welcome Shelton, you found the best resource on the internet for wine making. Enjoy!

Back