Gruner Veltliner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. Wesley

Junior
Reaction score
Just started a fermentation using Phone 4600 yeast in 8 gallons of pressed juice. Within 16 hours the fermentation was not vigorous but had produced a light brown "scum" on the surface, a little over 1/8" thick. Stirred it back into the juice for now. Has anybody experienced this with Gruner? Thinking about skimming it off later today if it reappears.

I've never made a GV, but have had that early on with other white wines I've made. I think it's just the early onset of fermentation and it has always disappeared once fermentation was in full swing.

Let it ride. It's just some small amount of solids the yeast have brought up to the top with CO2 production. Stir it back in. You will rack it all off once it clears down the road. It is not anything that has "gone bad" by any means.

Thanks for the prompt responses... Still a newbie, only the third white we've done and prone to get anxious. We'll stir it back in and lethe yeastie-beasties have a go at it.

Back