Growing Tubes for New Vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardworkin

Reaction score
I have some vines planted and I would like to put some growing tubes on them. I was wondering if anyone knows of a cheap, homemade way to create these tubes. I only have about a dozen vines so I don't feel like paying for a package of 100 or pay more for shipping than what it costs for a dozen tubes. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Some people use drain tile tubing to make them. If you have access to some, cut to your desired length of say 24-36 inches. Some will slit it on one side for applying, but can probably get away without the slit in putting it on.

I thought about drain tubing, but all I have seen is 4 inch or larger. I didn't know if that would be too big and still work. Thank you for the response.

Question....are you adding grow tubes for winter? If so, is it because of pests or something else. I only ask because I was of the understanding that tubes can trap damaging cold near the trunk, damaging the vines which can be particularly a problem with grafted vines.

If you are having trouble with pests like rabbits, I have used the wrap sold for fruit trees effectively.

2 cents....

My vines... (the few I have)... have been in the ground for about two years and I just want the tubes so that I can re-train them to grow in a straight and upright manner. I didn't plan on putting the tubes on until Spring but I thought that I would get a jump on ordering them or making them since things have slowed down a bit.
I plan on pruning them in January or February, but prior to them showing any sign of new growth, I wanted to put some sort of training tube on them.

Grow tubes won't help much with that. I believe the best thing to use is some kind of post or pole. I have used bamboo, just pound them into the soil next to your vine them tie the vine to the pole, kind of like gardeners do to tomatoes. If you have a table saw or access to one you can rip 2x4's in half just don't use treated ones.

Back