Greetings from Southeast Missouri

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brigitte

Reaction score
Hello All,
I joined here a few months ago but never got around to introducing myself. My name is Brigitte and I live with my husband in southeast MO just west of Cape Girardeau. I am retired from a career in nursing and my husband still works a public job.
We planted our first vines this spring and I am trying to learn all I can about grape growing and wine making.
We planted chambourcin, white cayuga, catawba, frontenac, and a few concord. So far all vines look great and
are still in the growing tubes.
We still need to build the trellising! ..hint hint... any suggestions?
I am considering using the kits to get my feet wet with the wine making part.
thanks in advance for all the help I know i will get here.

Brigitte

Welcome Brigitte!

I enjoyed reading your intro, but got the giggles when I read about you getting your feet wet. I wonder if that might be the actual source of that expression? Anyway, this is great group with lots of help and advice when you need it. There is a forum for professional growers and I know there has been quite a bit of info about grape trellis systems discussed there.

Pam in cinti

Hi Brigitte!..you said in 'my' intro that you had just put in an orchard, that's a pretty good one, a nice mixter you got going there.
So far Iv'e put out 48 Cayuga's this past spring, and hopefully this coming spring get in some Norton's as well. .......Kevin

Welcome, Brigitte. I'm also in Southeast Missouri, but a little south of you. I have planted some muscadine grapes just west of Sikeston.

I'll say "Welcome" again, Brigitte, even though I believe it was I that both welcomed you and suggested that you start your own introductory thread to garner these welcomes!

That does sound like quite a vineyard! Best of luck!

Welcome Brigitte!

I enjoyed reading your intro, but got the giggles when I read about you getting your feet wet. I wonder if that might be the actual source of that expression? Anyway, this is great group with lots of help and advice when you need it. There is a forum for professional growers and I know there has been quite a bit of info about grape trellis systems discussed there.

Pam in cinti

Pam,
you made me chuckle.. getting my feet wet..lol and thanks for the welcome!

Hi Brigitte!..you said in 'my' intro that you had just put in an orchard, that's a pretty good one, a nice mixter you got going there.
So far Iv'e put out 48 Cayuga's this past spring, and hopefully this coming spring get in some Norton's as well. .......Kevin

Hi Kevin!
I do have quite the mixture.. it may be a mistake? lol.. my cayuga's are growing great! some are probably 6 feet tall but still in the blue growing tubes. where about are you from?

Welcome, Brigitte. I'm also in Southeast Missouri, but a little south of you. I have planted some muscadine grapes just west of Sikeston.

Hi GaryMC,

we are practically neighbors. thanks for the welcome! I lived in Dexter for a short while back in the 80's.
How are you muscadines doing?

I'll say "Welcome" again, Brigitte, even though I believe it was I that both welcomed you and suggested that you start your own introductory thread to garner these welcomes!

That does sound like quite a vineyard! Best of luck!

Hi sour_grapes! yes it was you who suggested I start this thread. Thanks for the welcome "again"! and thanks for the luck. i am going to need it!
After reading a little on here about the frontenac, I am hoping that it wasnt a mistake to plant those; they seem as if they may be tricky little boogers..lol

Welcome from Ohio. This forum is a life saver when it comes to getting info. on this great hobby. Although I know some on here make a living doing it.
Will

Welcome from Ohio. This forum is a life saver when it comes to getting info. on this great hobby. Although I know some on here make a living doing it.
Will

thank you for the welcome.. we drove through ohio a few years ago..and stopped at trautman's (SP?) winery.. i still have a bottle of the farmer's white blend. i keep telling my husband we need to go back to ohio! lol

Latest posts

Back