Greenboard: crucial or less than crucial?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Americana

Junior
Reaction score
I've reached the point in the cellar construction where I'm considering my wall options, and I know everybody says to use greenboard to keep moisture in. However, through a friend I have a great deal on a 1/2" wood composite material for the walls and ceiling. It's much sturdier as well as easier and cleaner to install, and doesn't require taping and sanding (just caulking).

I have a very tight vapor seal around the cellar. If I use the wood material and a moisture/mold resistant paint, would that suffice? What exactly is the danger of not using a moisture-resistant wall covering in a 50-60% humidity room?

Thanks!

With the vapor seal you have installed, I think the 1/2 inch wood composite will be more than adequate. Good luck with your project. :b

I think the wood will be fine, also. I would recommend, however, painting both sides of the wood and the edges to minimize absorption. Also, you mention 50-60% RH. That seems a little on the dry side of the "ideal" of 75%. Good luck with your project. Seems like a great one.

Thanks guys. Down here in Atlanta things stay pretty humid but if the RH in the cellar gets below 55% or so for a prolonged period of time I'll hit it w/ humidifier for a few.

Latest posts

Back