New Wine Room

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Fred,

Didn't you have that happen to a carboy? @Johnd : gotta believe that's a bottle that just slipped through QA and had a flaw. As @stickman said, may want to pop the cork on another and examine it. What the heck, it's Saturday, right?
Yep, an empty carboy just sitting there.

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the primary reason a bottle would break like that, is when it doesn't go through the annealing oven after being formed. A bottle or a carboy would be the same, if you allow them to cool in the open air, that's what can happen.

Johnd

Sanitized Member
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much chalked it up to a latent defect in the bottle, losing the wine was a lot easier than emptying the racks to clean the back wall and floor. Bright side, didn’t get on any other bottles or labels, so just a cleaning job. Hope that never happens again.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Pretty much chalked it up to a latent defect in the bottle, losing the wine was a lot easier than emptying the racks to clean the back wall and floor. Bright side, didn’t get on any other bottles or labels, so just a cleaning job. Hope that never happens again.
All I could think was "I hope he put a seal on that grout.".

Johnd

Sanitized Member
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
All I could think was "I hope he put a seal on that grout.".
Knowing Johnd’s style I think it’s safe to assume he’s got a minimum of x3 coats of grout sealer on that floor.
If not epoxy grout!
Not epoxy grout, just a low VOC product for use in food production areas. It came off of the tile / wall very easily, little bit of scrub brush work to get down into the joint took it right out. There was a very slight darknessin the joints afterwards, i sprayed the whole area down with M-meta, it was sparkly clean after it dried, joints and all.

Latest posts