Vintage Keeper Cooling Unit Minor Repair

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
I noticed a few days ago my existing cellar cooling unit was dripping water inside the cellar, just a slow drip. I don't get a lot of condensate as my cellar has vapor barriers on all surfaces including the floor and is fairly well sealed, but obviously not perfect. This has happened a few times throughout the years, the usual remedy has been to pull a vacuum on the condensate drain tube using the Shopvac, this will typically free up the drain tube of any debris or mold etc., but unfortunately this time it didn't eliminate the dripping water. I pulled the unit out of the wall and opened it up, I found a crack at the corner of the plastic condensate collection tray. I just roughed up the plastic and painted on some 5min epoxy to seal the crack.
The evaporator coil has a black corrosion resistant coating that is finally starting to deteriorate near the bottom where it meets the condensate collection tray, but really overall the unit doesn't look too bad. I cleaned the evaporator and condenser coils and put it back into service, it won't last forever, but hopefully I'll get a few more years out of it. The poor drip tray design and lack of access panels are my main complaint, but 18yrs in service so far, I'm not really complaining……not too many things last that long today. (I'm really starting to sound like an old man.)

Just posting a few photos for those that might service a unit in the future.

Tray Drain.JPG

Drain Tray Crack.JPG

Epoxy Crack.JPG

Compressor and Condenser.JPG

Latest posts

Back