Grapefruit Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Reaction score
Any one one here tried wine from grapefruit? Found a one gallon recipe on the internet and currently have it in my primary. If anyone has tried it, should I leave it dry or would it be better sweetened?

20100920_191240_IMG_2422a.JPG
First racking....

Dry or Sweet is really a matter of personal preference Danny. I would take it to dry though, stabalize it, Let it clear and try a sample dry and then take another sample and sweeten slightly and try that.

Fruit wines inherently require some swetness to bring out the fruit flavors

danny, i just finished a 7 month long grapefruit experiment. the problem i had was the bitter taste of graprfruit peel all along. we used a lot of sugar and created a bitter concocktion at 16.3 abv. we backsweetened with some wine conditioner, some spenda brown sugar, and finally 2 bottles of pure maple syrup. i now call this thick carmel colored stuff "maple grapefruit". it is very interesting to drink. the maple syrup taste, the warming of the alcohol and the grapefruit aftertaste. we drink as a cordual, on the rocks in a salt rimmed glass, like a salty dog. hope i dont get throne off the forum for that! let us know how it comes out.

Latest posts

Back