WineXpert Grape skins in the secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle5434

Trying to fuse frugal/pragmatic with good results
Reaction score
I just started my LE17 Petit Ruby Cabernet earlier today in my 7.9 gallon brew bucket, and now I'm wondering...

I have a pack of dry GenuWine grape skins from a Chilean Malbec kit that got damaged and started leaking during shipping a few weeks ago. I know that for kits with such skins, they're generally added during primary and removed before secondary per the kit instructions. But when I do my usual racking at 1.02, I'm thinking about throwing them into the Fermonster during the secondary fermentation and letting them sit until fermentation completes.

Anyone see any down sides to that?

I just started my LE17 Petit Ruby Cabernet earlier today in my 7.9 gallon brew bucket, and now I'm wondering...

I have a pack of dry GenuWine grape skins from a Chilean Malbec kit that got damaged and started leaking during shipping a few weeks ago. I know that for kits with such skins, they're generally added during primary and removed before secondary per the kit instructions. But when I do my usual racking at 1.02, I'm thinking about throwing them into the Fermonster during the secondary fermentation and letting them sit until fermentation completes.

Anyone see any down sides to that?
Why not add them to primary, then take them with into secondary if you're able?

I thought about it, but the kit had 60G of med-dark oak that went into the primary, and I was concerned about a full primary + secondary with the grape skins on top of that adding too many tannins. I know some regard tannins like some folks regard tattoos - you can never have too many. I am not one of those people. ;)

I thought about it, but the kit had 60G of med-dark oak that went into the primary, and I was concerned about a full primary + secondary with the grape skins on top of that adding too many tannins. I know some regard tannins like some folks regard tattoos - you can never have too many. I am not one of those people. ;)
Got it. I'm a fan of tannins. Tattoos? Not so much.. I don't see an issue with just adding them to secondary.

Back