Cellar Craft grape skin pressure

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I am about to rack my le chateau du pays from the primary to the secondary.
I am wondering how much pressure I should put on the grape pack when I squeeze out the juice.

It is in the mesh bag in the primary. I guess I'm worried about extracting too much tannin.

What methods work best for you?

Ty

Squeeze the bejeezabies out of the bag with your hands as well as wringing it by twisting.

Get all the goodness you can possibly get out of that grape pack. Do not worry about excess tannin. Not enough to worry about.

Last edited:
Like what Mike said,
The extra "pulp" will settle on the bottom. Degass after you stabilize and before adding clearing agents.

like Mike said....squeeze, squeeze and squeeze some more...some of my relatives who had their presses in the basement would get near the end..press some more and then go up stairs have lunch, come back press more and so on thru the day, each time they went back down the press had done what it could and pressure had been relieved so it was easier to press again, this takes time but they were about getting all they could

a friend of mine took a pressing that i had done and went home and added valpolicella to the pressings...then he let sit and then pressed.....18 months later he came by ( the other evening) and openned up an unlabelled bottle..i looked at the color and suspected what it was ( but not knowing about the valpolicella addition) and then tasted....it it tasted like what i thought it was and guessed it

so it goes to show you, there is still a lot to give in them thar pressings....

Yep squeeze it real good. If this were a wine made only from grapes this wouldnt be good advise above and instead you would save a sample of the free run juice and then as you start pressing you intermittently take samples from the squeezing and test it against the the sample and then that against future squeezing samples and you will get to a point where it starts to taste to harsh and tannin and thats when you stop!

Latest posts

Back