Grape Skin Packs Available!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it worth adding these to higher end kits that already have a grape pack, or is that excessive? Starting a cc malbec and mosti RI amarone shortly.

Impiryo, IMHO, yes it is worth it. I have not made the CC Malbec but I did the Mosti RI Amarone. I thought it was thin (I used both the raisins and the grape pack) and would have benefited from more skins.

Edit: I saw Mike's post after I had posted mine and I would like to emphasize that I am only talking about the MM RI line. I feel that the MM line is notoriously thin. I also know that Mike is a big fan of Cellar Craft, as I am. In the case of the Malbec, it may be overkill. I just don't know.

Last edited:
I've done several and do 2 at a time so I have a full 5 agl with enough left over for topping. Problem is Vadai is out of 5 gal barrels for the next 2-4 months. So I am using some commercial and other lower quality kits to top off.

So far they have been great.

Ha! Raisins my good man, raisins for those Italian blends!
I like using raisins as well, but too many raisins can impart a sherry like taste.

I still don't understand the discontent with these grape skin packs, many are trying to tweak their kits to get a more commercial or traditional wine out of them. One of the most experienced wine makers that I've exchanged emails with is Bzac, he actually recommends adding 5 lb grape skin pack, he went as far as to make his own from a fresh lug or two of grapes.

If the core of the issue lies within the $24.50 that they cost for 5 lbs, I think that is one of the silliest things I've heard, we spend more money on various additives and equipment that we may or may not need, when someone comes across a product that has been talked about many times here on winemakingtalk, only to be dismissed as "they're not available anywhere", I would think that you would be excited at the possibility of fellow wine makers being able to improve their wine and wine making experience.

Not everyone can afford or has the room for Crushers, Destemmers and Presses, this has the potential of giving those of us that make wine from Juice buckets and Kits to improve and experience the whole push down the cap, rack off the gross lee experience, not to mention, for those of us that use juice buckets, we will be able to start experimenting with products like opti -red when using the skins and so on, isn't that what this community is supposed to be about? Helping others and getting the most out of the wine making experience?

Mike, you are a moderator and have a winery, you have a lot to offer this community, I would think that you would be more receptive and encouraging than this.

Should I keep my reviews and advice to myself from here on out?

They DON'T have them. Just tried to buy some.

DoctorCad, I just called them to see what is going on, they told me that they have a shipment coming in the middle of next week, they have been placing smaller orders as to not have product sitting around getting old.

Tom,

I think they are a great addition and have used them myself in the past. My comment was if you are spending $100 for a lower end kit that doesn't have a grape pack then you spend $30 more for a grape pack just make sure you couldn't find a better higher end kit for the same money or perhaps even less.

Thats the only point I was honestly trying to get across.

I'm with Ibglowin, I wouldn't add these to a $100 kit, but I might add one to a juice bucket!

I would have added $4 (1lb) worth of organic flame red raisins from Whole Foods instead of a $30 grape pack........

But I am SURE IT WILL BE FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As good as some kits can be I just wonder if they can be even better with using more and more skins. I know there has to be a cut off but Im willing to bet even maybe a Winery Series could benefit from 1 maybe 2 of these packs and be a "$40" bottle of wine? I know I know, here we go again with pricing of wines knowing very well Ive had $8 bottles that were better then $25 bottles.

I let you know how this compares to my buddies Brunello, exact same kit, started the exact same time, only difference is the addition of the grape skin Pack.
I am thinking about substituting the "heavy toast oak chips" included with a Heavy Plus oak infusion spiral, after 24 hrs, you can hardly even taste the oak. I'll wait another day and decide.
By the way, I found a fairly inexpensive source for Oak Infusion spirals, the real spirals from the the barrel mill, American oak spirals for $7.99 and French oak Spirals for $10.99, compared to $14.99 and up for 2 spirals.

Sorry I didnt mean to start an argument. Just wanted to tease Mike. I use raisins too with good results thanks to Mike's suggestion. Most of my comments are tongue in cheek.

With the exception of maybe 2 kits I always add additional oak to my reds.

Good to know Wade, I am real new to Kits.

Tony, this isn't an argument, I never intended it to be, and no worries, you didn't start anything my friend.

My comments were intended to try to figure out why I found a bunch of posts indicating that there was some serious interest in Grape Skin Packs until they couldn't be sourced anymore, then when I find them, it seems that it is being advised against using them?

I was excited to share what I thought was going to be a great link.

If this can help make a better wine, or even just make a few people a little bit more excited about making their next batch, why knock it?

Yes, I agree, I've used raisins as well, and even in the dragon blood and Melomel recipes, you will see that I add raisins, no doubt about it, but this wasn't about finding raisins, this was about finding a product that people had been looking for, available for less than the $79.99 that you had to buy previously, essentially making them within most wine makers reach.

I do understand about purchasing higher quality kits, but even that is subjective, I for instance, tasted my buddies Brunello and even very young could see where is was going, I thought it was real good, this became the kit I wanted to try.
I don't know how the others are, but I do know that I wanted to try this one, I really enjoyed it.

Why add the Grape skins? Well, to be honest after reading all of the positive reviews about using them, and reading Bzacs post on tweaking kits, it seemed like a no brainer.

But I am SURE IT WILL BE FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike, LMAO...you Don't have to agree with me, I'm not sitting at home sobbing because you didn't agree with me...LOL

I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Last edited:
If I ruffled any feathers I certainly apologize. I know full well we are all just trying to make GREAT wine in the end!

My comments were intended to try to figure out why I found a bunch of posts indicating that there was some serious interest in Grape Skin Packs until they couldn't be sourced anymore, then when I find them, it seems that it is being advised against using them?
I was excited to share what I thought was going to be a great link.
That describes my situation with the skins packs. I was ready to place an order and even had a shopping cart filled then I realized that the next five kits I have planned either have grape packs or are white. I'll have to wait and see what I plan for fall to determine if I need skins and what variety. I will likely do a Muntepulciano and need one for that bud not sure if I want Syrah or Merlot? I WAS very pumped to have a supplier at hand though.:br

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back