Grape Sellers in USA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would really like to try local grapes - so next year I’m in, if they are available. How soon ahead should I plan to coordinate an order? Great advice on the Pinto deal. Maybe I’ll sit this year out with them and wait until they have this partnership better integrated.

Every year is different for local grapes and every year I'm finding more resources. The only thing about local grapes is they are more expensive then getting them from Washington Winemakers. They are bought by the pound or ton rather than lugs and the price is usually around $1.50/lb as opposed to WW which is $1.10 to $1.25. The advantage is I get the local fruit the day of or the day after they are harvested and I know the numbers so I can take them or leave them. You also have S&S Wine Grapes in Maryland. There they get the grapes in and you have to keep monitoring what they currently have. But then again if you don't like the numbers you don't have to buy them.

I'm in Chantilly if you ever want to stop by and chat and taste.

@ClubHouseEstates , you can also check the Virginia Vineyard Association exchange for local grapes for sale: VVA Exchange. Sometimes the growers are willing to sell smaller quantities. I’ve never ended up purchasing from them, but Horton has been very responsive to my inquiries on purchasing grapes (they even put me down for 2 tons of Cab Franc last year without me asking!). As far as timing, they seem to start getting their orders lined up in July though I’ve checked in August and they had what I was asking for. If you were interested in this year you could always write and see if they have anything available.

they even put me down for 2 tons of Cab Franc last year without me asking!
I've tried "exchanges", but found it difficult to find growers who sell to small buyers. 2 tons is a lot for a home winemaker, many of which want 100 lbs. Not that I blame the growers who want to sell an entire vineyard in one sale, not piece meal it to a dozen or more buyers.

That's where group buys really work -- our local group purchases 5+ tons of grapes, with a minimum individual purchase of 5 lugs (I think). The minimum is set by our coordinator -- he does a LOT of work in setting up and administering the purchase, and the bookwork for a bunch of 1 or 2 lug buyers adds to the load.

--

I just remembered -- for folks within a few hours of the NY Finger Lakes, Fulkerson's sells to home makers -- both grapes and juice.

I've tried "exchanges", but found it difficult to find growers who sell to small buyers. 2 tons is a lot for a home winemaker, many of which want 100 lbs. Not that I blame the growers who want to sell an entire vineyard in one sale, not piece meal it to a dozen or more buyers.
I only included the accidental 2 tons as a funny aside. I’ve asked the posters on the exchange whether they were willing to sell me 100lbs and some were and some were understandably reluctant or at least wanted to hold out until they knew whether they’d be able to sell the whole lot or not. When I asked Horton in 2020, they were willing to sell me smaller quantities like 100lbs, I just needed to supply my own containers. Then they wrote me the next year asking if I wanted the 2 tons they put me down for!

I actually got my last 2 contacts off of the VVA although one was a bit higher than the one I'm going with. I didn't see a need to negotiate with the higher one. I did commit to 1/2 ton though, maybe that made the difference.

I attached the Exhibit A from the one I'm going with which I thought was interesting. It deals with brix levels and MOG.

Attachments

• 2022 Tarara Exhibit A.pdf
    596.2 KB · Views: 1
@Cynewulf, @mainshipfred, since there are a fair number of folks in NOVA, ya'll might get together and discuss a group purchase. That's far more attractive to the growers.
It's a great idea, the only problem is getting everyone on the same page as far as what they want. I am currently working with 3 growers who all provide different varietals.

@Cynewulf, @mainshipfred, since there are a fair number of folks in NOVA, ya'll might get together and discuss a group purchase. That's far more attractive to the growers.
This year is a buyers dream on the VVA, everyone seems to have a bumper crop.

Fred, that bill of sale is quite interesting. I wondered which vineyard you were buying from.

I actually got my last 2 contacts off of the VVA although one was a bit higher than the one I'm going with. I didn't see a need to negotiate with the higher one. I did commit to 1/2 ton though, maybe that made the difference.

I attached the Exhibit A from the one I'm going with which I thought was interesting. It deals with brix levels and MOG.

When they said:
Sugar levels below the target Bix will result in a reduction of $50.00 per ton for each % degree below this level. A Brix level below 3.0 degrees Bix will result in the grapes being subject to rejection by Winery.

Surely they meant "A Brix level 3.0 degrees Brix below target will result in the grapes being subject to rejection by Winery," right?

Can anyone recommend a Temecula Valley (California) winery for grape purchasing in small size? I live in south OC, about an hour away. A group of friends and I hope to buy a ton of grapes. How common is it that a winery would allow a home winemaker to use their presses so that we can take home juice (with skins/seeds) in buckets? I don't have such equipment, having only made wine from juice kits.

It's a great idea, the only problem is getting everyone on the same page as far as what they want. I am currently working with 3 growers who all provide different varietals.
Keep it simple -- for those interested, let 'em know what varietals are available and what the minimum order is. I'm used to thinking in "lugs", although some growers may work in pounds.

Other considerations are crushing onsite (if that is available), containers for transportation, etc. There is a lot more to this process than immediately comes to mind, but if it gets you the grapes you want, it may be worth it.

Last year we bought twenty three lugs, 828lbs.

This year we put together a small group to buy from CFP Winemakers. That allowed us to purchase two bins (roughly 1000 lbs. each) of Zinderella at a twelve percent discount. Lugs for blending we paid normal price. Makes sense. More packaging, more money. It's a great deal in the end. More grapes, more help, more wine, less money.

Hope to increase the size of the buying group next year.

Cool insight into seeing how the big boys do it.

Collinwood Grape Company: Home | Grapes
Called them today, I don’t think he wants to be bothered. Wasn’t sure if he would get to updating his website for 2022 prices. Best he could offer is you have to call on September 21 to get prices and availability.

Not sure this kind of customer service is going to get any new customers or repeat customers.

I’ve not worked with them before so I’m hoping this is not typical but maybe seasonal time constraints. If anyone has any recent interaction please let us know. I would like to support him, but not if he’s going to give it half effort.

I’ve never dealt with them. But a friend who does said that is typical. Don’t be put off. They tend to buy good, unsold grapes at the end of the season at favorable prices. So they don’t know what they’ll have. When they make the purchases they’ll know and the prices will be decent.

Our local winemaker's club formerly used them. We had a number of incidents of what could charitably be called "poor customer relations." (Not returning calls, not giving any info regarding delivery times, changing prices, etc.) Our club decided to start using a different vendor.

Our local winemaker's club formerly used them. We had a number of incidents of what could charitably be called "poor customer relations." (Not returning calls, not giving any info regarding delivery times, changing prices, etc.) Our club decided to start using a different vendor.
I've never used them. Too far away. My comments are based on hearsay.

Latest posts

Back