Grape Sellers in USA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@distancerunner started a thread regarding creating a western PA group for making bulk grape purchases. It occurred to me to collect a list of grape sellers in the USA to help others do the same thing.

The coordinator of the group I belong to (based in Durham NC) negotiates a good price on west coast grapes, as the cost for folks on the east coast is stiff due to shipping. Making a bulk purchase (10,000+ lbs total) gives us leverage.

I'll start out with the two companies I know about:

Musto Wine & Grape Company, CT
https://www.juicegrape.com
Gino Pinto, NJ
https://ginopinto.com

CFP Winemakers
1 21st. Street
Pittsburgh PA 15222
412-232-4507

They are concessionaires housed within Consumer's Produce. They are in the Strip District. They're probably the largest produce company in the region. That gives them the ability to store a lot of grapes in cold rooms.

Ron Casertano runs the show. Mario, whose last name I do not know, is his number one guy. Both are knowledgeable. Good guys to deal with.

According to Ron, Musto, Pinto, and Casertano are cousins. They control/buy exclusively some acreage owned or leased by Lanza in the Suisun Valley. They also import equipment from Italy.

I bought my crusher-destemmer from them more than twenty years ago. They have some equipment in stock plus all the usual things you expect.

Haven't been there myself because of the almost three hour drive. I have some friends who buy from him. They're on the other side of Pittsburgh so the drive is doable. They agree.

By the way, your new filler is excellent!

Hey folks -

New to the site but been making wine for 15 years from grapes. Just relocated from South Jersey to NORVA. I have been using Pinto exclusively and very very satisfied with there product in spring and fall. That said, the three hour drive from here is a bit much (did it for Chilean grapes this spring - made a 60g barrel). We moved my operation to a friends house in Fredricsburg as my townhome in Alexandria cannot accommodate.

I am very interested in trying to find a way to source more locally or team up to get pinto grapes as a group. This fall we are just going to make a small 30g batch and try juice to save the travel - seems I can find some options for juice pails more locally.

Thanks for the post and the opportunity to comment.

Tom471806C9-1F5D-49BA-AF4B-F34BF555D8BC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also just saw another post that says Pinto is selling grapes to pick up in Richmond VA area. I’m planning to call the NJ office and find out more. Tom1F72C523-9D65-45A9-A49A-71D1CE034606.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also just saw another post that says Pinto is selling grapes to pick up in Richmond VA area. I’m planning to call the NJ office and find out more. Tom
I emailed with Pinto last year, and they have a pickup point in Ashland (IIRC), which is just down the road from Fredericksburg.

However, @mainshipfred said there was a surcharge for shipping from NJ to VA. He can chime in, as I don't recall the details.

Welcome ClubHouseEstate. I'm (part time) 20 miles east of F'burg. I also have a vineyard in the Southwestern part of the state. You can try Pinto but I suggest you link up with Mainshipfred and get grapes from the plethora of local grapes. In fact Fred may have 100 lbs of Virginia Cab Franc to share.

I have my first crop of hybrids coming in this year in the southern vineyards and in a year or two I should have the Eastern VA crop. A small planting of Barbera and Albarino.

They ended up not charging me because I was never made aware of it. They did tell me the charge would apply next time. In addition, as much as I respect Gino's, the storage facility in Ashland is not refrigerated properly for storing grapes. I was originally told it was refrigerated but it's really only air conditioned to 72°.

I believe all the grapes I requested are spoken for. @ClubHouseEstates if you let me know what you want and how much I can see what I can do, that is if you want local fruit.

They ended up not charging me because I was never made aware of it. They did tell me the charge would apply next time. In addition, as much as I respect Gino's, the storage facility in Ashland is not refrigerated properly for storing grapes. I was originally told it was refrigerated but it's really only air conditioned to 72°.

I believe all the grapes I requested are spoken for. @ClubHouseEstates if you let me know what you want and how much I can see what I can do, that is if you want local fruit.
I would really like to try local grapes - so next year I’m in, if they are available. How soon ahead should I plan to coordinate an order? Great advice on the Pinto deal. Maybe I’ll sit this year out with them and wait until they have this partnership better integrated.

Tom, we also have Washington Winemakers which does a group purchase for Lodi grapes and juice. I attached the order form.
Yep, saw this the other day and emailed with my interest. Think this is my best option this year. Really appreciate the help and advice as I get my bearings in the area. Thankful for finding this forum!

Valuable feedback! Need to weigh my options then.
For folks in the Middle Atlantic, USA, getting good grapes is a problem. For some, getting ANY grapes is a problem, and this is certainly shared around the world.

For me, the local purchasing group is my best choice. If that falls through I have to weigh options.
  • Order direct from Musto -- this works, but S&H for individual orders probably kills the deal.
  • Frozen must buckets -- these are hideously expensive. Juice buckets are not an option, as I want to make heavier reds.
  • Buy from the group Fred mentioned above. This is a 5.25 hour drive + traffic in the worst of DC. I have family an hour from the facility so it's a 2 day trip, but it's a long one.
  • Buy from Gino Pinto -- requires a 3.5 hour drive in each direction, but I have family within 20 minutes of their facility, so it's a 2 day trip.
  • Wine kits. Last year I was unable to purchase grapes so I filled the barrels with FWK, which is working nicely! It's not what I want, but it works.
I'm talking to a VA grower and will be getting some hybrids from them. It's a 3 hour drive in each direction, but it's through rural areas so the driving is not as intense. Plus there are wineries in the area.

Looking back at what I wrote, it improves my mood greatly that I have options. ;)

My list may be of use to other folks figuring out their options.

Back