RJ Spagnols Grand Cru International Collection Syrah Kit Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUwiner

Reaction score
I'm helping a friend get started with his first kit. It's a Grand Cru International Collection Syrah. The kit contains one plastic bag of oak chips and another "tea bag-like" package of oak. I have made several Vineco kits but never one from RJS. It's instructions are somewhat confusing about what to do with the oak. I understand you pre-soak the one bag of chips and add them to the primary but does the second bag just get mixed in? A mesh sock is included but supposedly this is for grape skins which this particular kit did not have. Any help would be appreciated.

Normally you would just add the oak chips to the primary fermenter. You could use the mesh bag if you wished. Personally I would save the bag for a future use.

You're correct about the "tea bag" of oak. I usually put it in a pyrex measuring cup with some boiled water, and then dump everything into the primary.

Steve

Yep, throw tyhe grapes in the mesh bag, throw the chips in loose, and also throw the teabag in there.

AUwiner:

Are you CERTAIN there are no skins? Have you looked UNDER the bag of juice/concentrate? I just looked at the web-site and it says that the California Syrah comes with skins. The BC Pinot Noir does not.

Steve

Didnt notice that part. If yoiu havent started this kit I would call the place that you bought this from as it should have a grape pack, that what seperate the International kits for the regular Grand Cru along with the price boost!

Thanks for the response. And yes, the kit did have the grape skins. I found them when I removed the juice bag.

Like Wade said, put the oak in the bag with the skins. It is less mess when racking. Just keep the bag pushed down and stirred around (at least once a day, better to do it twice a day).

I think you will find that the "teabag" actually contains elderflower and is not a second bag of oak.

Elderflower in Syrah, I could be wrong as I havent made this kit but I doubt they put that in a red wine.

I stand corrected
1 bag of oak in plastic bag to be emptied directly into juice
1 bag of oak in a big tea bag

odd that their is 2 different bags of oak ? probably different types?
I always find that the tea bag falls apart anyway so i just dump everything in directly.

Latest posts

Back