Grad school and wine making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently the wind has changed direction for me as of late: no longer considering UW and Seattle (visited, loved the city and the university campus, but I don't feel it's my place). Instead, I am going to UC Berkeley. In many ways I think it is even a better deal, given its proximity to San Francisco, good weather, and of course, magnificent wine. Napa, here I come! :h

It's strange that wine or wine making wasn't among the factors I considered in making my final decision, and yet I seem to be in luck. :b

Interesting. UW campus definitely has more of an East Coast "feel" to it so I would have thought you would feel very comfortable there. But alas, it does RAIN there a LOT! :)

Both are great schools so...... WINNING!

Apparently the wind has changed direction for me as of late: no longer considering UW and Seattle (visited, loved the city and the university campus, but I don't feel it's my place). Instead, I am going to UC Berkeley. In many ways I think it is even a better deal, given its proximity to San Francisco, good weather, and of course, magnificent wine. Napa, here I come! :h

It's strange that wine or wine making wasn't among the factors I considered in making my final decision, and yet I seem to be in luck. :b

May ((wind)) up with a career change as well. If your free time does get you the area, consider http://www.castellodiamorosa.com/Visit-Us/Wine-and-Food-Pairing. Mary is a great Hostess and the wife of a cousin of mine as well

Acorn, you will remember this bit of advice through your whole career, study the sociology of winemakers! That will give you an inside into angle to learn as much about winemaking as you can while you are working and looking like a serious young professional person, you can indulge your hobby even while you have to work. WVMJ

Very Sage indeed! Simply staying in touch with this Forum ought to reveal about as mixed-bag of wine personalities as you'd be likely to find anywhere :<

Interesting. UW campus definitely has more of an East Coast "feel" to it so I would have thought you would feel very comfortable there. But alas, it does RAIN there a LOT! :)

Both are great schools so...... WINNING!

Yeah, I actually had a (mild) case of culture shock when I relocated from the east coast to Berkeley years ago. It was not something I could really put my finger on, but something just felt a bit "off." I only mention this by way of saying that it is possible that you will encounter something similar, and you will have to roll with the punches.

Yeah, I actually had a (mild) case of culture shock when I relocated from the east coast to Berkeley years ago. It was not something I could really put my finger on, but something just felt a bit "off." I only mention this by way of saying that it is possible that you will encounter something similar, and you will have to roll with the punches.

Quite possibly. Although I visited both places and liked both, I think I can explain my preference for Berkeley in that I am used to all sorts of big-city madness, having lived in NYC for a decade now, and I'll miss that kind of roller-coaster of a life, should I move to Seattle. Though not a small city either, Seattle comes across to me as a place with that bucolic attitude and low-key way of life in many of its neigborhoods (yes, some of them are quite hipstery, but still...). Maybe I am judging by a different standard, but I by no means see it as bad, it's just not something to what I can subject myself for the next 5 years or so.

Congrats. IMO, grad school is the perfect time to improve upon your hobby...speaking for myself, but if I had a wine making or brewing hobby in undergrad I probably would not have gone out as much, having that kind of hobby is a more enticing reason to stay home.

Quite possibly. Although I visited both places and liked both, I think I can explain my preference for Berkeley in that I am used to all sorts of big-city madness, having lived in NYC for a decade now, and I'll miss that kind of roller-coaster of a life, should I move to Seattle. Though not a small city either, Seattle comes across to me as a place with that bucolic attitude and low-key way of life in many of its neigborhoods (yes, some of them are quite hipstery, but still...). Maybe I am judging by a different standard, but I by no means see it as bad, it's just not something to what I can subject myself for the next 5 years or so.

By the time the west got settled, the population was made up of escapees who realized that the East was becoming a rat-race-madhouse. Ergo the laid back culture that may seem a little strange! JMHO :r

Back