Got some cherries this year

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper

Reaction score
I am trying my first Cherry wine.
smiley1.gif

Just want to share what I did.

Used 42 lbs of cherries for6 gallons of wine. Crush the cherries and remove all the pits (took an 1 1/2 hrs)because they will make the wine bitter if they brake, I am not taking any chance. Add water to bring the volume up to 6 gallons, then add pectic enzyme and let it sit for 1 day, stirring a few times over the day. Then add enough sugar to bring the SG to 1.070 and also add 7 tsp of tartaric acid and 5 tsp of yeast nutrient. And I add a Cabernet Sauvignon Kit to the cherries to add complexity. Cherry wine tends to be quite simple and the Kit will add complexity to the wine. My friend and I tasted the must before pitching the yeastand it is very good
smiley1.gif
. Starting SG was 1.071

I check the wine this morning and the cherries are fermenting wellwith the kit. When it is finish fermenting I willput everything into a press to get the wine out. With the cherries and the kitI will get 11 gallons of wine. After pressing add 60 ppm of SO2 (sulfite) I would treat it as any other wine.

Sounds good, abv is a little even if it ferments down to .990 but still okay, just not a wine that will shelf for many years.

that's OK I drink my wine too fast anyway.
smiley17.gif
I think my oldest bootles are 3 year.

Latest posts

Back