Got popular quick....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usafcajun

Reaction score
My wifes family found out I'm making wine and a few sampled a half bottle of blackberry in the icebox that was leftover after bottling. They drank 4 bottles of it the other night ata party. Down to 10 bottles of it now. Don't think it will make it to maturity.
smiley19.gif
Oh well!

smiley14.gif

USAF,

Sounds like you need a "private" stash
smiley36.gif
. I think we all have that problem. I've got two batches that I haven't touched believe it or not, a grapefruit and a pineapple. They were both so hot and off tasting to me at bottling, I can't bring myself to try them
smiley36.gif
. These will get the full year and by then I hope to have enough courage to pop a cork
smiley8.gif
. Unfortunately, most of my country wines taste so good at bottling time they don't get much rest!

Hey this is why I moved to 5 gals and 6 gals.1 gal would just not cut it. oh and multipule batches going at once. What a Hobby. People are amazed that the stuff was made at home. Course these arent the 20 dollars or more for a bottle of wine people. I have gotten requests to make it for them and they would pay me. MMMM no not ready to be arrested for bootlegging wine wow that doesnt sound right.

OldWino said:
Hey this is why I moved to 5 gals and 6 gals.1 gal would just not cut it. oh and multiple batches going at once. What a Hobby. People are amazed that the stuff was made at home. Course these aren't the 20 dollars or more for a bottle of wine people. I have gotten requests to make it for them and they would pay me. MMMM no not ready to be arrested for bootlegging wine wow that doesn't sound right.

I've also had many request to buy my wine. I tell them I can't take money for it, but I will exchange favors. For instance, I get all the beer I want on poker night when I bring a bottle of wine to the host. I often pass a bottle to a neighbor friend who helps with baby sitting or kid retrieval. HOWEVER, I have offered to make a kit for anyone who buys one and brings it by. This would not be illegal, I don't think.

But if they buy a kit and you do all the work and split the results? They get
14-15 bottles for the cost of a kit. You get the rest for a little effort...
sounds like a plan.

We too have people wanting to buy our wines. Isn't it amazing that otherwise law-abiding citizens will try to talk us into breaking a very scary law? I'll drive over the limit on the highway, I'll get a parking ticket and think nothing of it, but I'm not messing with DNR, IRS, FBI, CIA or ATF. Don't want nun dem revenuers at my door!
smiley5.gif
And we all know what the AFL/CIO got old Jimmy Hoffa!
smiley18.gif

Instead of a private stash, I would suggest a batch of Waldos Habanero wine >left out>un labeled. That might cure the curious cats.

Or they may lay waste to your good stuff to douse the flames. No battle plan survives first contact with the inlaws/enemy.

Shoot!! Boot leggin??? Unless you've got Uncle Jesse and a fast car like the General Lee, I'll pass (ok, humor me, I'm and 80's kid that watched too much Dukes of Hazzard)
smiley4.gif

djcoop said:
Shoot!! Boot leggin??? Unless you've got Uncle Jesse and a fast car like the General Lee, I'll pass (ok, humor me, I'm and 80's kid that watched too much Dukes of Hazzard)
smiley4.gif

Heck, me and USAFCAJUN could look around here and see if they left any the General Lee cars from the movie Dukes of Hazzard so we could outrun the law.
smiley36.gif
They filmed it here. Lot of the scenes for those that seen the movie were filmed around my house here (the scenes with the Boars Nest, if you see the stop sign in the background, hang a right and thats where my last house was). When I was still working EMS I did quite a few stand by's while they filmed the stunts. Got to meet all the cast. It was cool.

I to have many people try to buy my wines but like others never sell them. Do barter though. I to offer to make kits for anyone that wants to buy them and have done a couple. I don't take half but will take 5 or 6bottles for compensation.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I have to deal with CIA, FBI, SS, NSF and ATF as part of my job. You do not
really want to mess with those guys. As a gereral rule, obeying the law is a
good thing.

So Peter,

You don't think they can be bribed with wine. Hahaha I'm just kiddin' ya!
smiley2.gif

You live in Huntsville, do you work at the prison?

Oh, I forgot. USAFCAJUN, since we are neighbors, I would gladly let you storeyour wine here at my house. I will take real good care of it, TRUST ME!
smiley2.gif

Smurfe

I think it is actually illegal to make a kit for someone.
smiley5.gif
But, if you have THEM add the yeast at the proper time, then YOU are not MAKING it wine. They are. You are just helping with the process.

When I first got Bert to start drinking wine, we went to a place called Vintner's Cellar, where you "make" your own wine. You paid for everything up front, and they did all the work except for, adding the yeast and bottling. They didn't have a winery license and by not adding the yeast (fermenting component) THEY were not making wine. You were. You'd go back 6-8 wks later and bottle, using a pump, floor corker and they did all the clean up!

So maybe you should have them add the yeast, just to be sure.

Better yet, teach them to make winethemselves! Like the old saying goes, "buy a man a fish feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." You can substitute wine very well in this
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back