Got my first batch in progress

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conan1

High Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Its bubbling like crazy! I'm using 4 gal Welch's grape juice w/ 1 gal Welch's cranberry. 1/4 tsp Kmeta 24 hrs before pitching 71B yeast. Probably didn't need that much meta since its bottled juice but I'd rather be safe than dirty..... Added 5# of inverted sugar to bring the SG to 1.090 and now I just wait, and wait, and then probably wait some more and sample when I can't stand it while it going thru the process. Thanks for all the information you've all given. I may end up with something my wife will like. I will use meta again before when racking and then both meta and sorbate before bottling. Next batch will be peach/white grape. This is fun!

When the Mad Bubbling Starts is always the best part

Congrats on your first batch!

When the yeast catches hold and starts bubbling away, I always do a little happy dance.

As a newbie, I find there is a lot to worry about . . .

Temperature, pH, specific gravity, infection, nutrients.

Maybe insecticides or pesticides have contaminated the fruit.

Maybe some kinda salt or dirt or who knows what got in.

Maybe I measured wrong, or misread the numbers or transposed something. Maybe the dyslexia got me.

Then there are all the chemicals I have never heard of before.

Then there is yeast. This isn't a chemical reaction. Yeast is ALIVE! This means Mother Nature is involved in the whole thing too!

But when the yeast catches hold, and it's bubbling like mad, YIPPEE! Happy dance and sigh of relief.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back