Got Elk?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We sure do! They are moving down from the high country in droves the past month or so. There was at least 50-75 in this herd. These shots are taken about 3 miles down the road from the house. The land is all Bandelier National Monument so no hunting and they seem to know exactly where that border is!
The sun was at a bad angle for any better of a snap. They were only ~10 yards away from the road. Saw a couple of young bulls as well.
Been seeing more than usual this Fall. I suspect the big fire this Summer (Las Conchas) destroyed a lot of their normal habitat for this time of year so they are here earlier and in much larger numbers. I saw a heard of easily over 100 going to work a few weeks back. Usually you see maybe 6-10 in a group but we have been seeing huge herds lately.
Somedays you can see 1000's of them in the Fall up in the Valle Grande in the Jemez mountains grazing (also protected). They are HUGE!

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

They serve it at some of the finer restaurants in Santa Fe. We had Elk tenderloin at one of them this Summer and it was fantastic. Very lean, not gamey, tender. It was served in a wine reduction sauce with shrooms and potatoes. Yea, it was good. I used to hunt growing up in Texas. Do not hunt here. Too fricken cold, you have to hike in for miles and pack it out if you get lucky. Plus you have to worry about anyone else who drew a tag for that hunt being in the same area, perhaps drunk and still hunting......
No thanks, I'll gladly pay the $40 for a nice elk tenderloin meal served by a roaring fire with a nice glass of wine....
135414_1255833220274.jpg

ibglowin said:
I saw a herd of easily over 100 going to work a few weeks back.

So... where does a herd of over 100 elk work at?
smiley36.gif
Are they migrant farm workers?
smiley17.gif
Are they unionized, and do they have a good health plan?

Back