Glycerin vs Raisins vs Bananas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehlenrg

Junior
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the advantages, disadvantages of the various additives used for body? This has probably been discussed but I didn't have much luck with a search. Glycerin, raisins, bananas all are used to add body or mouth feel to wine. I've used raisins in the past but the price gets a little scary. This time I split some cranberry and did some with and some without raisins. The cranberry with has more body. Someone in our club suggested glycerin for some Concord I made that was not bad except that it lacked body. I picked some up glycerin but haven't tried it yet. I was certainly impressed with the low price compared to raisins.

Hi,

I have used glycerin on several of my fruit wines that I thought needed a little more body. One was an apple and one was a concord made from welch's concentrate. I myself think it works great and it will also help a wine seem mellow quicker, or with less of a bite. Directions are on the bottle, but I just add slowly untill I get the mouthfeel I am looking for.

BOB

Latest posts

Back